Please sign in to post.

Calabria

Hello,
I think I am finally going to make it to Calabria this summer or fall (depending on COVID). I hope to visit my ancestral towns, (Montauro and Martone), as well as Tropea, Pizzo, Gerace, Scilla, Reggio and other historic places. We saw a very interesting YouTube this AM about villages that still speak Greek, and we are up for hiking, exploring, biking, relaxing by the pool, and we love art. We will probably have 7 days in the area. We are retired, not looking for a bar scene, but do like a lively town. (We loved Sorrento)

My questions are:
Would Tropea be a good base? Maybe a nearby town?
Montauro and Martone are on the Ionian side, but I'm not seeing a town that might keep us busy for a week.
I've read that the beach towns close up pretty much in September. Is that true?
I don't imagine we would have enough time for Sicily, but DH would love to hike Mt. Etna. If we did that, would you suggest adding another 4-5 days? I'd love to visit Siracusa, and other eastern Sicily towns.
Would you fly into Rome or Naples. We've done both before.

Thanks for any suggestions, or thoughts on this area.
J.

Posted by
27057 posts

You have a long list of places you'd like to go. I'd use the extra days you think you might scramble for eastern Sicily in Calabria, because seven days sounds shortish for your target list. Return to Sicily on a later trip when you can give it the time it deserves (at least two weeks with a car, I'd say; more time if you must depend on trains and buses).

Posted by
79 posts

Thank you for your advice. I agree that trying to cram Sicily into this trip would be too much. Especially since we often find less famous, but nevertheless wonderfully interesting spots during our wanderings.
J.