Please sign in to post.

Calabria

Been to Italy a few time but never south of the Amalfi Coast. We're thinking of making our way into Calabria but a little unsure of which area to see or stay. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on Calabria itself?

Posted by
7737 posts

What is it that's interesting you in Calabria? Is it more than the fact that you haven't been there yet? It might be helpful to add that info here, because it's not exactly one of the most popular regions to visit. It's usually someone with an ancestral connection that's trying to track down their hometown. Happy travels.

Posted by
94 posts

My family and I will be visiting Calabria in July. It is a relaxing place.

Posted by
9110 posts

I don't think it offers that much. If you're looking for something a bit more interesting, work the heel of the boot, essentially south of a line from Taranto to Brindisi.

Posted by
2876 posts

Why not drive down to Villa San Giovanni and take the short ferry ride over to Sicily? You could easily visit Taormina, for example. Much more of interest there (e.g. Mt. Etna) than in Calabria.

Posted by
791 posts

We stayed in Tropea last Jan for a couple of days. It's geared towards the summer beach crowd. It was pretty much dead of course when we were there but summer would be different. Tropea itself is a cool little town but not worth more than a day. We drove around that area for a few kilometers and there's not much else there.

Posted by
73 posts

Well the reason I was thinking about Calabria is that I've never been south of the Amalfi Coast and I was thinking that it might be interesting to check out that area and see Calabria or Puglia. I was hoping to seek some opinions that would help me make that decision. Thank you to all who posted a reply.

Posted by
931 posts

Puglia is awesome! We loved it. The food and wine are awesome and cheap, and it is not overrun by peole like us: tourists. Read this great article from the NY times. http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/05/06/travel/06Puglia.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5124&en=7fc0ee4c82bf1ba5&ex=1336276800&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink We explored the area from Trapani to Galopoli. Lecce is a mini Siena. A car is the best way to explore the area. We used the Lonely Planet as our planner/ guidebook.

Posted by
791 posts

Puglia is nice. We stayed in Martina Franca as the last leg of out vacation after Calabria. If it's a choice between the two I'd say go to Puglia. Try to rent a trullo. Makes the experience that much better.

Posted by
2829 posts

Calabria has 3 interesting spots to visit: 1. Parco NAzionale del Polino, a high-mountain dry-forest park good for hikings and stunning views. 2. "Lost villages" around the Silla mountains. Essentially, places that are frozen in late 19th Century for most of them, untouched by mass tourism. Probably the best spot to get a sense of "authentic rural Italy living". 3. Stillo and the Aspromonti - Bizantine architecture and other ruins from Greek period.

Posted by
35 posts

The region of Calabria is chocked full of charming towns and historical sites not to mention the most flavorable cuisine and culture in all of Italy plus the best beaches. For now it's a 'secret' and not yet discovered by most......those of us who know and love Calabria admittedly kind of like it that way. ;)

Posted by
1 posts

Check out the website calabrianlife.com. It has the places and sites to see and enjoy. Plenty to do and see in Calabria.
Nina

Posted by
653 posts

I love Calabria, but I don't spend much time there since the main attractions are beaches and I'm more interested in art and history. Tropea is lovely. The suggestion to go to Sicily is good, if you haven't been there yet. I would add Cefalu to Taormina if you don't have a lot of time. The other main cities are Agrigento, Siracusa, and Palermo. On the way south of the Amalfi Coast, stop at Paestum - there's a beach, great Greek temples and a good museum. From Paestum you can either go south to Calabria or east to Puglia, which has a great deal to offer. Taranto is not the most tourist-friendly city, but the towns of Bari, Lecce and Otranto (all on the east coast) are beautiful.

Posted by
2 posts

Calabria,is a wonderful region,full of culture,the land of the Ancient Greeks, history,sunshine,mountains, sea and genuine food,you name it! Pasquale Pacicca