Please sign in to post.

Calabria

Planning my annual visit for September. Considering a few days in Calabria to do some ancestry research. Thinking of staying in Lamezia since it seems to be fairly close to the hometowns of my grandparents. Not totally resigned to it though. If anyone has traveled to any area of Calabria and could share any insights on where they stayed, what they liked or disliked, etc., I would greatly appreciate it.
Grazie mille!

Posted by
7360 posts

Coming by car ferry from Sicily and driving to Sorrento at the end of December 2012, we stayed one night in Castrovillari, staying (and dining very well) at Locanda di Alia, recommended in the Pauline Frommer's guidebook. The town was very festive, preparing for New Year's Eve in a few days, the people were very helpful, including the photo shop who helped with a photo card issue that we couldn't get solved on Sicily, we slept very well, and breakfast the next day was fantastic -- with the best cappuccino anywhere! The Autostrada thru the region was undergoing construction, which may all be finished by now (?) but the drive in the Interior was lovely, with green mountainsides above and valleys way, way below. We stopped at Paestum and Eboli on our way to Sorrento.

Posted by
11613 posts

Lamezia is very close to Tropea, a lovely town situated on a beautiful promontory. I stayed at Villa Vittoria, a former private residence converted to a small hotel; if you have a car, the hotel will provide a parking space out front.

Tropea has some nice beaches, several good restaurants (unfortunately not the restaurant with the great view from the outdoor terrace dining area, but have a drink there). The Duomo has two unexploded bombs from WWII inside the portals. Cantina del Principe is on a side street, good food from family recipes. Tropea is famous for its onions, definitely try them.