Please sign in to post.

Calabria

I need some confidence in order to travel to Calabria . Is it safe to travel there by car. I was planning to visit my gg grandfathers ancestral village.

Posted by
15171 posts

Just make sure the rental company gives you a GPS and a "lupara" (shotgun). Just kidding. You'll be fine. You'll just have to deal with narrow mountain roads that you are not accustomed to in or around Toledo, OH.

Posted by
11613 posts

Chris, I've been to Calabria a few times but I've never driven. It's beautiful, many places (inland from the coast) still undiscovered by tourists. You'll have a great time. Seriously, get the GPS and a good map.

Posted by
2876 posts

We drove to Calabria and visited my wife's ancestral village a few years ago. Driving was no problem. There are no serious mountains there. The one thing I'd say is that, unlike northern Italy, very few Calabrians speak any English. Bring a phrasebook. When we got to my wife's village (Bucita), the villagers went and fetched the one villager who spoke good English. She actually had a son attending college in New Jersey (how do these people do it?). We had a lot of fun. The people were very friendly and helpful.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks Zoe you seem so knowledgeable about Italy you must have spent a great deal of time there. I always read your posts because you seem to be right on.
I appreciate your thoughts on Calabria. Chris

Posted by
1018 posts

My family also comes from Calabria and we have been traveling there for years. We have driven there from Roma and La Campangna without any problems other than some world class traffic jams. Driving on the Autostrada is like driving the interstates here, but the adventure begins when you drive on the secondary roads. Keep in mind that the farther south you drive in Italy traffic laws become only suggestions. We always stay the the Hotel Savant in Nicastro because my folks came from Nicastro and Sambiase in Lamezia Terme. We never have had any problems and the people are very friendly. As mentioned above, almost no one speaks English. Learning some Italian words and phrases will help you and the locals will appreciate your efforts. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks everyone! Tom your village is not far from mine San Vincenzo la Costco Chris

Posted by
1018 posts

Zoe, Calabria has been discovered by the English mainly because of the strength of the pound against the euro. There is considerable condo and apartment construction occurring along the western coast of Calabria. Another factor attracting the English is the presence of an international airport in Lamezia Terme, which serves England with four hour flights. Direct flights are also available from Toronto during the summer months. Over the years of traveling there I've encountered many German tourists, as well. My cousin tells me that Calabria with its beaches is known as the Florida of Europe. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
11613 posts

When I said undiscovered by tourists, I meant the places inland from the coast. You're right, the beaches are beautiful. I love Tropea along the coast in particular, and it's a tourist mecca (not so many Americans yet, though).