Please sign in to post.

Calabria 2024

This is my first inquiry into visiting the region of Calabria. Probably September 2 weeks . I’m thinking of flying into Naples and head south along the coast but not including the Amalfi or Sorrento area. Maybe a loop around the toe and return to Naples for a flight back to NY. Any and all information is appreciated. I don’t know where to start. We have been to most of the rest of the country including Sicily and Sardinia.
Thank you
Lorie

Posted by
2213 posts

I would go to the library and check out some guidebooks. There's definitely not as much info out there on Calabria as on other more-visited areas, but I think you could at least get a start.

Posted by
755 posts

First stop Agropoli, then Maratea, Tropea, and finally Reggio di Calabria- the “City of the Bronzes”. Returning, there are probably some interesting inland towns and sights - Paestum for sure if you haven’t been there.

Posted by
350 posts

I was in reggio calabria for 2 days in 2022. pleasant little town. nice walk along the lungomare falcomatà with great views of sicily across the straits of messina. the main reason i went there was to visit stilo to see the catolica di stilo, a 10th-11th century byzantine church. it's not easy to get to. I took a train to monasterace marina and then a bus which is not frequent. it was an adventure but worth it. i also wanted to visit gerace but could not figure out public transportation. if you are driving then there are plenty of other beautiful places in calabria to discover. i used the blue guide: southern italy as a starting point. if you like take a look at the link in my profile for some pictures of reggio calabria and stilo. hope this helps.

Posted by
27390 posts

I'd make the trip a bit later if possible. I think it could still be very hot in September.

Posted by
291 posts

Ciao..in July..stayed a few minutes South of Tropea at Il Borghetto Creative Resort..5 nights..loved it..had a car but took a shuttle for 10 euro into Tropea in the evenings. Loved Il Borghetto..lovely breakfast and pool..perfetto! Drive to Capo Vaticano for the beach and lunch..visited grandfather's village ..Jacurso..then drove north..stayed in Maratea..amazing amazing water..stayed at Santavenere. Great seafood..flew in and out of LaMezia airport..avoid ITA airlines if you can.