Please sign in to post.

Buying train tickets for late Dec and itinerary for first trip to Italy?

I am visiting Italy for the first time in mid-late December for 12 full days (plus arrival and departure days). I know it's a lot cheaper to buy train tickets way ahead of time but unfortunately I will be in Italy after the train companies change their schedules on December 12.

Does anyone know when Trenitalia and Italo are likely to start selling tickets for later dates? I've been checking the two websites and Trenitalia has a tiny number of trains listed and Italo has none after Dec 12.

Also---I have done a lot of reading online and of guidebooks and am still struggling to decide how to divide my time. I'm flying into Rome and out of Florence. I don't like rushing from place to place so know I want to spend at least 5 nights in Rome and 4 or 5 in Florence (and take 1-2 day trips from Florence). My dilemma is whether I should spend 8 nights in Rome and 5 in Florence or 5 in Rome, 3 in Venice, and 5 in Florence. A couple of my days in the middle will be over Christmas Eve and Christmas so I know most things will be shut. On the one hand, I know there is a ton to see in Rome and lots of good day trips. On the other hand, I know Venice is a truly unique place that I probably shouldn't miss. I travel a lot but am not sure when I'll get back to Italy.

I would love any and all feedback!!

Posted by
11344 posts

I bought tickets for Dec 16 adn 30 a few days ago. I just randomly pulled up Roma to Firenze for Dec 19 and the list populated with a full schedule of Freccia trains.

I would, with 13 nights, do Roma, Venezia and Firenze. I would weight the number of days somewhat on where you will be for Dec 25 as that will mostly be a "walking around" day, but Venezia is great for just that if that is where in your itinerary the holiday falls. Christmas Eve is pretty much business-as-usual although some sights willclose early. DO make reservations for 24th dinner and 25th lunch. It gets very busy in restaurants!

Posted by
20186 posts

Giving us actual dates of the trip will help. Schedules for the high speed trains will come out first. I'd expect you will see them showing up on the schedule in mid October.
I will say that the Christmas Market in Verona is outstanding and leaves nothing to be desired from Suedtirol, Austria, and Germany. Yes, even Italians like a bratwurst smothered in sauerkraut on a bun with a cold draft beer. Very fun and a somewhat intermediate stop between Florence and Venice. Definitely spend 3 days in Venice.

Posted by
11613 posts

Think of nights rather than days - a night is always a night, length of sightseeing time during a day can be shortened by travel, holidays, etc. I would add Benezia if at all possible. I lived in Roma on and off for several years and still find new things to do there, no matter how long you stay you will not see it all. Still, more is better than less.

Posted by
11294 posts

In 12 days, you can definitely see all three cities. Exactly how many days to apportion to each one can be endlessly debated, and also depends on your interests.

As for train tickets, remember that if you can't book because the schedule has not been released, neither can anyone else. Just keep checking every day or two.

Posted by
11344 posts

The schedule is out for many trains, but not quite all. Check and recheck every day until you find what you want.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks so much for your very helpful replies!

I will be arriving in Italy the afternoon of December 18 and leaving in the afternoon of December 31st. I am 90% sure I will go to Venice for 3 nights (probably Dec. 23-26 or Dec 23-Dec 27). Am I missing out on a lot by spending Christmas Eve/Day in Venice rather than Rome? I will also look into the possibility of stopping in Verona for a few hours between Venice and Florence.

Posted by
4533 posts

For the June schedule change there was absolutely no hiccup in posting trains, the 120 day window continued posting right through the schedule change.

If you want to stop over buy a regional train ticket since this allows a stopover of a few hours (it's a sliding scale dependent on length of journey). Freccia tickets do not allow free stopovers. Regional tickets are fixed price, buy before boarding.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would split my time ...
Rome - 4 nights
Venice - 3 nights
Florence - 6 nights
From Florence you have so many options for day excursions - Lucca, Pisa, Siena, Arezzo, Ravenna, Bologna.
I think Freccia train bookings are 120 days ahead, perhaps less around the timetable change.
I had no trouble bringing up possibilities to December 29.
http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

EDIT Reading your dates now, and no, I wouldn't travel on Christmas Day. Padova is a good day option from Venice too.

Posted by
1 posts

Spend more nights in Florence, as another poster suggested above, because Florence is the city from where you can take the most interesting day trips: Siena, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Chianti.
I would select a Siena day trip (not only the city is beautiful, but they produce delicious Christmas pastries) and a Pisa day trip (to see the leaning tower). I wouldn't do both in the same day, although some agency sells them together. I would instead add a Chianti region trip to your Siena trip, to enjoy some wine tasting in the place where it is produced.
About Cinque Terre: beautiful sea landscape, but considering the period of the year, I would reserve that for the next time, or eventually plan to do this last minute only if weather allows.
Here you can find a nice list of day trips from Florence: http://yourcontactinflorence.com/day-trips-from-florence/