Please sign in to post.

Bus schedules

My husband and I are traveling to Florence in early November. After 5 days we are planning to take a bus to Montepulciano for 2-3 days. I am having trouble finding bus schedules even though RS says there are 2 trips per day for this itinerary. Any help is appreciated.

Posted by
15281 posts

I think I would take the train to Chiusi then the bus from Chiusi to Montepulciano. There are several options that way.
Search trains here:
www.trenitalia.com
from FIRENZE (Tutte le Stazioni=all stations)
to CHIUSI-CHIANCIANO TERME

Then from Chiusi station there are several buses to Montepulciano:
http://www.tiemmespa.it

If you go in November, schedules may change. But you have time and there is really no need to book ahead on those regional trains, so you can sit tight for now. But at least you know where to search as you get closer to the date.

Posted by
2194 posts

Yes, definitely follow Roberto's advice. Even if you take the bus from Florence you have to make a change, and the train-bus combination gives you more flexibility with schedules.

Posted by
1054 posts

Do you have a budget for this transfer? You could also look at a taxi driver too. I did that from San Gimignano to Montpulciano instead of using the buses. They even setup a winery stop and lunch along the way. I used Luca from Hills and Roads in Tuscany. You could see what the price is and then compare that to the bus/train trip.

Also after Montepulciano I went to Rome. For that trip I did a regular montepulciano taxi (that the hotel I stayed at setup for me) to take me to Chiusi train station. Then the train from Chiusi to Rome.

Posted by
715 posts

I third Roberto's suggestion. A few years ago I went by train from Orvieto to Chiusi, then right out side the train stations are the buses, just ask for Montepulciano and take that bus. It may seem daunting at first but it is really quite easy.