Please sign in to post.

Bus from Rome to Sorrento

Hi, I understand that there are 2 modes of public transportation from Rome to Sorrento -train or Bus. For the Bus, is it a local bus where all the locals take or is it a special destination bus like the tourist bus that has airconditioned? With the train, we have to change to another train in Naples and with our luggages in tow, I am deciding which is the best mode. Thanks!

Posted by
91 posts

Changing trains in Naples can be a hassle, with luggage and different station levels. It also costs more, since the Leonardo Express train alone, from FCO to Roma Termini, is 14 euro, plus the Roma-Napoli train, plus the Circumvesuviana 1-hour train to Sorrento. But there is a Roma-Sorrento bus from FCO for 16 euros. Leaves early afternoon, takes 4.5 hours. Some stops, but no changes. If you are in Rome but not going to Sorrento from FCO, you'll have to catch a bus from Piazzale Tiburtina, in front of the Tiburtina rail station. Check WWW Curreri Viaggi It. for details.

Posted by
1883 posts

We took the bus from Sorrento to Rome, and it was great. Air conditioned.
It does make a bunch of stops, but then so does the train. I loved that we didn't have to hassle with transfers. Get on, get off 4.5 hours later. Depending on when you travel, bring water and some food, it is a long trip. I didn't even attempt to use the bathroom on the bus, but then I try not to use the bathroom on trains either...pretty dirty. We had 2 bike cases and 2 pieces of luggage, the bus was a dream compared to the train! I recommend it. Buses between cities is a larger bus, like you'd see here from Greyhound, luggage goes under the bus, you can bring a carry on on board. The seats recline (just a bit)

Posted by
425 posts

Note that there are TWO bus operators between Roma Tiburtina and Sorrento: Curreri bus lines, which runs buses daily EXCEPT Sundays from April through October; and Marozzi bus lines, which runs buses year-round (fewer in winter) From June through September, one of the Marozzi buses in each direction continues on from Sorrento to Positano, Praiano and Amalfi, thereby assuring DIRECT bus service from these Amalfi Coast towns to Roma Tiburtina. Taking the super-fast (70 minutes) AV Frecciarossa train from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale (45 Euros in second class), then connecting to the Circumvesuviana commuter rail to Sorrento (3.40 Euros, 65 minutes), will be FASTER and MORE EXPENSIVE (in the absence of the very cheap advance purchase "MINI" train fares) than taking the direct bus, but many people (especially with mobility concerns) find that avoiding connections entirely is most appreciated. Curreri costs 16 Euros from Rome to Sorrento. Marozzi costs 17.50 Euros from Rome to Sorrento, and 20.50 Euros from Rome to Positano, Praiano and Amalfi. Look up the schedules on the operator's website to verify service on the date of your trip. www.curreriviaggi.it www.marozzivt.it www.vesuviana.it
www.ferroviedellostato.it