Please sign in to post.

Bus from Rome to Sorrento

I was stationed in Spain from 1960 to 1964 and we used to catch hops over to Naples and mess around Italy.

My first encounter in Naples was with a horde of children who surrounded us. The bunch in front distracted you with hands outstretched and shouts of candy and chewing gum. Those closest to you, bumped against you so you wouldn’t notice that those behind you had their hands in your pockets and were stealing anything that they could grab.

The kids were trained by the adults who had other, more lucrative skills.

After getting burned several times and in several ways, I learned about Naples and enjoyed Italy. Later I lived in Northern Italy (the Dolomites) and learned Italian.
It’s possible to be lucky and miss these charming experiences but my advice is make day trips to Naples, keep to brightly lit and populated areas, don’t let anyone get too close to you and leave before dark.

That said, I want to travel by bus next year from Rome to Sorrento.

Has anyone done this or have any information about it?

No trains and I’d just as soon skirt Naples.

Posted by
1880 posts

John, We took the bus from Sorrento to Rome, just the opposite direction. It was wonderful! Trip took about 4 hours, the same as the train, but without a transfer.

We bought our tickets at a travel agency in Sorrento, but you will just purchase yours at the bus station.

The buses are clean, not that crowded. We made a few stops along the way to pick up and drop off passengers.

Bus travel is just as easy as train travel, less crowded, and very easy.

The bus arrives in Sorrento in the main piazza, you will be in the center of town. the bus station we arrived in in Rome was not far from the train station, but I don't remember the location, as we just arrived, got a taxi and got to our hotel.