Please sign in to post.

Bus from Florence to siena

We are traveling from Florence to Siena - I've seen reccomndations to opt for the the bus over train and
for the bus to buy a ticket from the bus station a day before, is that true? I've also heard the bus station is difficult to find, and tips? Thanks!

Posted by
8307 posts

You can buy the bus ticket from the driver. If you go out the side door of the Florence train station, you will see a McDonalds. The buses line up to the right of McDonalds on the side street and on the block behind McDonalds. The bus will take you all the way into the center city, and it's faster than taking a train. The train drops you off out on the edge of Siena.

Posted by
32327 posts

rmt,

Travel by bus from Florence to Siena is generally a bit easier, since the bus drops passengers right in town in Piazza Antonio Gramsci. The rail station is at the bottom of the hill, so you'd need to get up to town via bus or taxi.

The bus terminal in Florence is not hard to find and it's not far from Firenze S.M. Novella rail station. This may help - https://getbybus.com/en/bus-from-florence#florence-bus-terminal . I believe the address is Via Santa Caterina da Siena 15 and hopefully one of the others can confirm that (it's been a few years so my memory is a bit foggy on that).

You can buy your tickets at the bus terminal, but don't forget to validate them prior to boarding the bus. There are two types of buses on that route, Corse Rapide (fast) and Corse Ordinarie (slower). The fast version is about 15 - 20 minutes faster as it makes fewer stops on the way.

I'm not sure how current this is, but it provides info on ticket prices, etc. - https://www.sitabus.it/en/florence-siena-bus/ .

Posted by
1878 posts

There is also an escalator that gets you to the top in Siena from the train station. The bus stop is a little more central but I thought getting from the train station to town was totally manageable.

Posted by
623 posts

We took the bus to Sienna. We went early and bought the tickets the same day at the bus station which is to the left of the train station. For peace of mind we purchase round trip tickets just to be sure we would not get stranded in Sienna. As it was, the bus was not full. The bus stop in Sienna was very close to the city center.

If you go in a double decker bus be aware that the top level swings a lot. One of my us got car sick from all the swinging.