Please sign in to post.

Bus from Florence to Siena

I will be traveling in March on the train to Florence on my way to Siena and I have a few questions. This forum and others make it sound like getting to the bus station from the train station is easy as is buying tickets for the bus. My questions: Is it as uncomplicated as other readers have indicated? And also is there room on the buses for luggage? I mean fairly large suitcases. Also has anyone ever taken a car service from/to Florence/Siena? Any help from the RS community will be appreciated!

Posted by
872 posts

Yes it's a snap, takes you to the center of town; the train station a little ways out. Luggage gets stored, not like on trains where you drag it on and off.

Posted by
593 posts

I'm also planning to take the bus from Florence to Sienna, but just for a day trip. I'll be watching for input from others just to settle my nerves. It's my first solo trip abroad.

Posted by
250 posts

It really is a snap! To get to the bus station from the train station, exit the front of the station, turn right, cross the street, walk about 20 feet down the street that runs in front of the train station and turn right into the bus station. You will see a ticket office. Ask for a ticket on the "rapido to Siena" (this is the non-stop bus rather than the local). The bus leaves every 30 minutes and luggage is stored under the bus.

I have not taken the car service because the price is prohibitive. The car service is around 200 euros, the bus is 8!! Travel time is about the same.

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you all so much! My questions have been answered. I did get a quote from a car service company and the cost is definitely more than I'm willing or need to spend.

Posted by
32325 posts

Susan,

The advantage of taking the Bus is that you'll be dropped in the centre of Siena, rather than the bottom of the hill where the train station is located. I've used both methods and taking a taxi up from the station is not really a huge inconvenience. If you have large / heavy luggage, the train & taxi combination will likely get you right to (or at least close to) your hotel. With the bus method, you'll have to walk with luggage from Piazza Antonio Gramsci to your hotel. Your choice......

Posted by
2181 posts

And also is there room on the buses for luggage? I mean fairly large suitcases.

I don't know about the buses from Florence to Siena, but we rode the bus from Greve to Florence and back. It had enough room for a backpack, but not large luggage. As far is I know, these aren't Greyhound type buses.

I'm responding more to encourage you to reconsider your luggage. Have you traveled in Europe before? How long will you be in Italy? Where else will you be going? Will you be traveling the entire time by train/bus? Will you be responsible for handling your own luggage?

Posted by
1425 posts

Its been a while since we did this trip but the bus station is very close to the train station as previously mentioned. The bus had large storage areas accessed at the side of the bus. Lots of big suitcases fit in there.

Posted by
902 posts

I have only used the train from Florence to Siena. It is quick and easy, 90 minutes on the right train and pretty cheap too. Hiring a cab in Siena train station is easy and not expensive.