Please sign in to post.

Budget accommodations in Rome

Hello, My husband and I have booked all of our accommodations for our first trip to Italy (July, 14 days: Venice, Florence, Ischia, Rome) except for our last 3 nights in Rome and would like some recommendations. We don't want to book ahead, but would love a list of places we can call a few days before we arrive in Rome or wander into depending on how adventurous we feel! We want budget places (is it possible to find places for less than 80 E?) that are still centrally located. Would pay more if we were close the Colosseum, as this is my must-see of the trip! We have been using all of Rick's Italy books but most of his recommended accommodations are outside of our price range. We plan to spend our time in Rome visiting the typical tourist places (Colosseum, Forum, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, etc) so a location that is central to these is important. THANKS!
-Michelle

Posted by
8125 posts

I hate to keep saying "See RonInRome.com", but he has reviews on accommodations all over Rome. We stayed at OliveTreeHill.com, which is a top rated B&B in Zagarolo for 70E. Our host, Ivano, is a fantastic tour guide famous for his midnight tour of Rome. He took us to and met us at the train station for the 20 minute ride to Rome Termini. And he really takes good care of his guests.
We found as much to see in the Rome suburbs as there is inside the city center.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you! I was not aware of RoninRome despite reading many posts here - so thank you for repeating it! I will check it out!

Posted by
32198 posts

Michelle, For "budget accommodations", you could also consider Hostels. The Beehive is very popular, but they're often booked WAY in advance. There are others that offer double rooms at fairly good prices. I sometimes stay in a Hostel in Rome close to Termini station, and pay €35 per night in a four-bed Dorm (that's "per person" though). For travel in July, I would strongly recommend pre-booking accommodations ASAP. It may already be too late, which means you may have to pay more than you planned, or may have to settle for something far removed from the centre. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
206 posts

On our first trip to Rome was for four days so we stayed in a convent. We thought it would be fun to try. It was located near Termini station. It's only drawback was it had a 10 p.m. curfew, oh and no TV, otherwise it was very nice. Something to consider. Happy Travels Devra

Posted by
49 posts

Your best bets are either hostels of convents/monasteries. I'm quite the proponent of staying in convents and/or monasteries. They're clean, safe, quiet and cheap. Most have twin rooms in the 75 to 95 Euro price range. Try checking out monasterystays.com.

Posted by
1994 posts

If you like quiet and don't mind keeping curfew, you should have no problem staying in a centrally located convent/monastery for that price. If you want late nights and don't mind more noise, try hostels. Either way, for July (or even other times of the year) the better quality lodgings will book ahead, so I'd make reservations NOW. If you wait until you are there, chances are you'll pay more for a less desirable place. Also, if you've only got 14 days total, do you really want to waste some of that time trying to find a clean, affordable place to sleep.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you again for all of your help! I looked at monasteries and hostels but they were still very expensive ( we would like a private room) and well over 100 euros a night. If someone knows the name of a monastery that fits our budget I would love to know it. Looks like a should make a booking...thanks everyone! -Michelle

Posted by
29 posts

We were just in Rome last week.. Stayed in a great apartment for around 82 Euro per night. The owner, Guiseppe is very nice and very helpful.. Great apartment, clean and newly renovated, with air conditioning, small kitchen, etc.. It's a 5 - 10 min walk to the San Giovanni metro station.. There a good restaurant just down the street where we had dinner twice.. and of course, Caffe' bars and gelateria. I highly recommend this place https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/370972 Jim

Posted by
427 posts

We stayed it a convent last summer that was very close to the Colosseum. Though the room was basic, it had a private bathroom and and was very clean. We paid 80 Euro for a twin room. Here is the link: http://www.casasantasofia.it/index.php/en/ Though the website said they have AC for an extra 10 Euro, we couldn't get AC in our room and it was pretty hot at night. However, the location was great and I would stay there again. Happy travels!

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you Meg! This is exactly the type of place/price/location we were looking for. We booked our room with Casa Santa Sofia this morning!