Please sign in to post.

Borghese Gardens

We plan on spending an afternoon in the Gardens after we see the Gallery (we have reservations).
Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do? Should we rent a bicycle or a boat?
Does anyone have a favorite place for lunch or a picnic?
Thanks!

Posted by
2735 posts

If you're walkers you'll find that it's not a very big park, actually.
A great spot to picnic is at the far west end overlooking the Piazza del Popolo on the Terrazza del Pincio.
And if the weather happens to be too hot or muggy or otherwise inhospitable, consider one of the other museums that doesn't get as many tourists, like the modern art gallery.
http://lagallerianazionale.com

Posted by
944 posts

Not to be a grump, but the actual site doesn't resemble the photos you may have been looking at on-line. We were disappointed with how worn out and un-maintained it was in the Summer. Maybe its more beautiful in the Spring? I'm usually champing at the bit for a good row boat outing, we planned on a picnic on the lake after seeing the Gallery, yet the tiny lake that you can boat on was over grown with algae and seriously stank of goose poo. I would not say its a garden site, there are precious few "gardens:" Its a park. :)

Posted by
16895 posts

There is grass and trees, but after a hot summer, expect pretty brown grass.

Posted by
3413 posts

I wouldn't plan to spend any time there except walking straight through it!
The grass will be brown and scruffy, the trees dry looking, and it's not very beautiful.
Yes, it's a park, but not like you would know a park at home.

Posted by
339 posts

I have to agree with Francis, it is a little run down. After seeing the wonderful gallery, we expected a beautiful park. Nah, it's a worn out urban park. Decent walking paths, but you are not going to be in awe. It sounds like you are expecting something like Central Park in NYC. It is not quite at that level, IMO...

Posted by
1878 posts

I found renting a bike very enjoyable when I was there is late October 2016. It was pretty cheap too, just a few Euros for an hour.

Posted by
6713 posts

If it's a nice day and the park appeals to you, take a walk for awhile. I found it pleasant enough last fall but not worth spending an afternoon. I think there were some food places around the center but I didn't eat there.

Posted by
10 posts

My family and I rented a golf cart and had a pleasant drive around the grounds. I would agree with others it's certainly not breathtaking, but we were there in September and it was fairly quiet. There were still some green spaces and nice areas for a picnic: )