Please sign in to post.

Borghese Gallery, Roma Pass

I was buying my reservation to the Borghese online (for late March) and it showed seat numbers. Is that just a reservation number?
I don't want to buy a ticket to something else by mistake! Also, I'm a little confused by the process. Should I have the reservation

mailed to me or pick it up there? Do you have to wait in a long line to pick it up? Also, we've paid for tours of the Vatican and the
Colosseum (two out of our three full days in Rome). We want to visit the Borghese on the third day. Do you think a Roma
Pass is a good idea?

Posted by
7346 posts

Hi Robin- we made reservations by phone when we got to Rome, so I can't offer direct online ticket advice, but we did show our Roma Pass and paid on-site at the ticket desk when we arrived at the appointed time (be there early). The Roma Pass was a good deal for us, giving a discount on our entry to the Borghese Gallery, plus tram/bus/metro use over the 3 days of the pass, as well as our first two sights free. There's now a cheaper 2-day Roma Pass, if that made more sense for you. I don't suspect that you can get the discount entry price to the Borghese Gallery if you order and pay now, but peace of mind that you have tickets (if that's possible, as opposed to just reservations) might make it worth getting your tickets now, assuming you're certain that you have actual tickets for what you want ;-)

If the only thing you were going to visit on Day 3 was the Borghese Gallery (and/or sights in Vatican City, which aren't covered by the Pass), then having a Pass that day might not be worthwhile. The building itself, plus all the art inside, makes the Borghese Gallery a definite must-see, however!

Posted by
15802 posts

Hi Robin -
For just two attractions (Borghese and Colosseum/Forum/Palatine) I don't think the Roma Pass will be a good choice for you. Passes tend to be more economical the more attractions you use them for, and the pass also doesn't apply to the Vatican. It may pay off if you intend to use the public transit system enough to make up the difference but we've found Rome to be such a fun city to walk that we've used the transit system very little on our own trips. You can easily purchase individual tickets if you want to hop the metro now and again.

If you should decide to purchase the pass, the process for Borghese reservations is different than for visitors without the pass. Without pass, you can do that on the site you were probably looking at (link below) and no, don't worry about seat numbers: those won't apply to you. They probably routinely include those for the rare events which have seating.

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

When you book your reservations, choose the "Pick up at the box office" option on the order form. They'll email you a voucher for tickets that you'll present at the check-in desk at your appointed time. Print those out at home before you go. As stated on the websites, be at the museum at least 30 minutes before your time slot for getting your tickets, checking any items which require it (just about everything but you ARE now allowed cameras/photographic devices), using the restrooms, etc. We arrived even earlier than that so we could purchase a printed/illustrated museum guide from the bookshop to use during our visit: made a nice souvenir which we've enjoyed many times since!

If you intend to use the pass, reservations must be made by phone. From the Roma Pass website:

"Booking required, calling the number +39 06 32810 (open Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm – Saturdays, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm)"

Posted by
11613 posts

You pick up the tickets (show the pass if you are using it) at the window, arrive about 30-45 minutes before your appointment. The line is not very long since access is limited to about 200 people per visit. If you have extra time before your appointment, there's a nice little café onsite. Your "seat number" is there because of the ticketing service the Galleria uses (same service issues tickets for concerts, etc. where seating is necessary).

I go to Rome frequently and use the Roma Pass almost every time I go, if I plan to visit some of the pricier museums/sights. But for just two sights, unless you plan to use the free transportation part of the pass quite a bit, it may not be worth it.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you, that clarifies it. I really appreciate it. It's amazing how many details can pop up when planning a trip.
It's not like thirty years ago, when I spent a month in Italy with almost no planning. A few misadventures, but what
great stories they made aver the years!

Posted by
15802 posts

It's not like thirty years ago, when I spent a month in Italy with almost no planning. A few misadventures, but what great stories they made aver the years!

You can say that again!!! :O)