Please sign in to post.

Borghese Gallery

Is this a must see or is it just another museum? I'm afraid I will be museumed out after the Vatican,
Accademia, Uffizi, etc.. If you had to pick which 3 museums would you see and why?

Posted by
1021 posts

It depends entirely upon one's tastes. For me, Bernini's statues in the Borghese are some of the most amazing works of art I've ever seen. Not to mention Rubens, Caravaggio, etc. But I know what you mean about being "museumed out." I've skipped more than one renowned museum for that reason. You might go ahead and make the reservation and then see how you feel when the time comes.

Posted by
565 posts

I LOVE the Borghese but I would have to say it's not my favorite in Rome and I adore Bernini. You listed the top three for me in Italy but as top 3 in Rome, I would say Vatican, Capitoline, and Museo Nazionale Romano are way up there. If you can squeeze it in, do it, but I wouldn't organize an itinerary around a reservation unless it's on your life's check list and you have a good bit of time in Rome. My hubby has yet to admit it, but I think he was rather bored (he's not a museum type). It's also a little out of the normal sight-seeing area too.

Posted by
358 posts

I am not a museum person however I really enjoyed the Borghese. I used the RS book as a guide to better understand the Bernini statues and other statues/paintings. You are only allowed 2 hours in the gallery which is enough time.

Posted by
32929 posts

Please don't go. It will leave more room for us who need, every trip to Rome, to see some of the best sculpture in the world. Thanks.

Posted by
4535 posts

I think it's one of the greatest museums in the world and Bernini one of, if not the best sculptor in history. I'd get a sneak peek online and if it looks amazing to you, don't skip it. Personally, I'd skip the Accademia, though you won't get museumed out there as it's small and really only about the David.

Posted by
338 posts

I think it depends on how close together you're planning to see these museums. The Uffizi and Vatican museums are large and will take a while to tour. They also offer a lot of variety in terms of what to see (media, styles, periods, etc). The Accademia and Borghese are smaller and more focused. They can be visited completely in a short amount of time. Put a day between the Vatican and the Borghese and you'll enjoy both. The Uffizi and Accademia are different enough that you can see them the same day with maybe a lunch break in between.

Posted by
53 posts

After looking online at youtube, I have decided to visit the Borghese Gallery. Is there a restaurant on the grounds there if we decide to have lunch or early dinner after visiting the museum? Thanks for all your advice.

Posted by
133 posts

Kathy,
Of all the museums we went to (all that you mention) I think the Borghese was my favorite. (although it's hard to top DAVID) Be sure to rent the headsets. They only allow so many people in at a time ,so unlike the Uffizi, it never felt crowed. The 2 hr time limit is just about right. Enjoy! (I seem to remember that you can get food there)

Posted by
56 posts

Kathy, you will love the Borghese! Yes, there is a nice cafe with some good choices for a quick meal right off the museum gift shop. I suggest taking your DL, as you need to leave a form of ID to rent the headsets there & I'd didn't want to leave my passport. You of course get it back after you return the headset You are also not allowed to carry backpacks, purses inside, but what I found amusing, is people who purchased museum items before their entrance, were allowed to carry their sacks inside lol
There is a place to check your stuff & they give you a numbered claim tag

Posted by
515 posts

The more you know about the Apollo/Daphne story the more that Bernini will blow you away

Posted by
1021 posts

Via Veneto is 8-9 minute walk from the Borghese. Several restaurants along there.

Posted by
500 posts

It's a very nice small museum. I was just there last week at the very end of 3 weeks in Italy. Great sculpture, many nice paintings, even the rooms themselves are quite interesting, it's a nice walk through the park to get to the museum. If you enjoy sculpture definitely go.

Posted by
951 posts

When we went in December, they had a special Cranach exhibit that we were not expecting. I am not to wild about sculpture but I do have to admit, they were pretty cool. We were blasted away by Cranach though, which made it way worth it.

Posted by
43 posts

@Kathy, The Borghese has a nice little cafe. I don't think you would want to make it a meal, certainly not dinner, but it is fine for a snack.

Posted by
515 posts

reasonable minds can, respectfully, disagree. The via Veneto, once famous for the jet set 1950's La Dolce Vita "scene", is today a hyper priced tourist trap.