Please sign in to post.

Booking problems in Rome & Italy June 2013

Can anyone tell me if there is a "Big Event" going on in Rome or Italy during the first two weeks of June 2013? We have begun trying to book sleeping accomodations, but so far, every place we've tried has no vacancy. Any info? Thank you.

Posted by
1825 posts

Do you realize you posted the same question twice? Based on that, I'd examine your method of checking availability online. Using Skype to call the hotel directly is a good way to find out if they are actually booked up.

Posted by
7737 posts

You may be trying too far in advance. Hotels will show up as no vacancy before they make the rooms available. Wait until January. You'll have plenty of time and choices.

Posted by
4152 posts

I agree with Micheal, you're trying to book to far ahead of time. Most hotels are small and independently owned, not like the chains in the U.S. For better luck try waiting until the beginning of the year. Donna

Posted by
56 posts

Thank you for the helpful feedback and the new-to-me websites to check out. It's hard to know when is too early and when is not early enough. Yes, Richard, I realize that I hit a button twice. It's what we call "internet connection issues" and it's been going on for about two weeks. Sorry to inconvenience you.

Posted by
1825 posts

Perhaps your connection issues are making it harder to check availability. That's what I was alluding to.

Posted by
1626 posts

Have you tried emailing the hotels directly? I was trying to book hotels back in June for a trip in April 2013, and sometimes, when attempting to book on line, got No Availability messages, but when I emailed them, they responded with availability and accepted my reservation.

Posted by
2126 posts

Have you tried Booking.com? They show you what hotels are available, you can book without deposit, and you generally can cancel with no penalty a few days before you're due to arrive. We booked several hotels for our upcoming Italy trip this way. Easy.

Posted by
11321 posts

Hi Jan. What type of lodging are you seeking? B&B, small hotel, fancy hotel, apartment? I booked 6 to 9 months out for two trips here, so it's not too early. I use VRBO for apartmentsall over Italy, and look at Trip Advisor for B&B recommendations. I can shoot you a couple of ideas if you PM me. Laurel

Posted by
1525 posts

Jan, I am an early planner myself, so I sympathize. However, the previous advice is correct. Many web sites will list No Vacancy simply because it is too early to be in the system. Different types of accommodation and different room situations require different standards for what is considered an "early-bird-gets-the-worm" kind of booking. If you are looking for an apartment, booking a full year ahead is possible and maybe even wise. If you are an unusual party of one or party of 5, looking for the perfect hotel room just your size, you might want to start as soon as possible, which may be 6-7 months out. If you are a couple just looking for a standard double room, you should be fine waiting until 2-4 months ahead. Many B&B's don't take bookings this far ahead because it increases the chances that plans change and people don't show up. In any case, a very short email in very simple English will likely get you some sort of positive response. Most web sites have a "Contact Us" link with an email address, or something similar. Good luck!

Posted by
11613 posts

Regardless of the booking service you use, many places don't list price and availability until about 6 months out, although a few places do (example: I was looking for a hotel/B&B in Ravello and only one was posted on both venere.com and booking.com, but I know there are others). Due to the financial crisis in Europe/world, some places may not be listing yet as the euro fluctuates more than usual.

Posted by
492 posts

I'm booking for a few days in June in a few different places and not having any problems. Which places are you trying to book with? Are you using a travel site or the hotels directly?

Posted by
15584 posts

It is likely that many hotels don't even have their 2013 rates yet. Except for special events, like Carnevale in Venice in February, even 5-6 months ahead may be too early.

Posted by
222 posts

I will be in Rome, Urbino & Matera in June and I have already made reservations. I have traveled 12 times before and for the last 5 +- years I have made my reservations as soon as I have dates. It is more important in very popular places like Rome or Paris or especially if they are in Rick Steves books. You can always cancel but I like to know that it is taken care of.

Posted by
56 posts

Thanks, everyone. This has been very helpful.