Please sign in to post.

Bolzano

I have wanted to return to Bolzano ever since I was here 10 years ago. I was enchanted, I used the good public transportation to get to hiking in the Dolomites, so it was a good base.
Of course I don't expect places to stay unchanged but I was unprepared for the huge new construction and the massive ongoing projects. Skyscrapers which block the mountain views. Also huge crowds, Plaza Walther for example was massively crowded. I left my airbnb in Bolzano and finished the rest of my stay in Merano which is still lovely and tranquility reigns,

Posted by
2914 posts

Wow. Sorry to hear what is going on there, although staying in a city is something I’ve never done and never will do. I prefer the outlying villages. Thanks for the heads up though.

Posted by
17 posts

We were planning a drive to kastelruth… is it crowded there also?
Or worth seeing as it is out of our way.
Have never been to Dolomite area. Going mid October
Thank you

Posted by
1710 posts

Even Otzi is not safe from modernization. A company has trademarked the name Otzi for a method of curing hemp.

Posted by
286 posts

Castelrotto will not be crowded in mid October. We were in Ortisei that time of year in 2019 and it was quite sedate.

Posted by
473 posts

We are returning to the area after six years as well. We stay down in the Val Gardena. We like Selva. And one of the benefits of staying there is they give you a bus pass to use and then you can also purchase a lift pass for several days or a week. We stay at a hotel that includes breakfast and dinner for less than $200 a night and that is staying in a suite. That’ll be for next June