Please sign in to post.

Bolzano

I'm hoping for advice on places to stay in Bolzano. We are coming from Munich and want to have a nice rest and see the Dolomites. Is it best we look for air conditioning in August? Grazie.

Posted by
8 posts

Yes, you should opt for air conditioning if you stay in Bolzano as it can sometimes be quite hot. Unless you have a car, you should look for a place in the city center. This will let you walk to the cable car that will take you from the city to the plateau for a short hike. All of that said, think of Bolzano as a gateway to the Dolomites more than being in the mountains. If you want to get to the mountains, you need to go further east.

Posted by
1900 posts

Try booking.com.

It is a good site to do research on and then you can book through booking or go directly to the hotel or other site.

Posted by
1045 posts

Bolzano is not only beautiful it is also very interesting. I only wish I had given it more than a full day when I visited several years ago. You can take the bus up to the Alpe de Suisse for a spectacular walking/hiking area. A stop later is the town of Castelrotto which is even more 'German' looking that Bolzano. There is a chairlift there that will take you up to some great walking paths and a just plain fun little bar and grill for lunch!

Airconditioning? You bet!!!

Posted by
311 posts

In September we stayed at Castle Hortenberg. It was wonderful. The breakfast was incredible. In addition to the huge buffet they also have waffles and egg selections cooked to order. We walked to the city center and to the cable car as we spent one day up the Renon plateau. Bolzano is a great place to visit.

Posted by
26829 posts

After sweltering in a nice but non-air-conditioned hotel in Bressanone for several days during the summer of 2015, I scooted down to Bolzano in search of air conditioning. I lucked out and got an affordable room (priced way below the usual rate, I'm sure) at the 4-star Parkhotel Laurin. It's within walking distance of the train station and the very pretty historic center. Check out its rate for the dates you need; it might turn out to be offering good deals again.

The South Tyrol ArchaeologicalMuseum houses the very interesting Otzi (the Iceman) exhibit.

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks all, we'll stay in Lauren Hotel, but definitely not at a discount! Grazie, Ciao.