Please sign in to post.

Bologna or Parma

We have 4 nights allocated to Bologna or Parma. I know we can do day trips from one to the other (and to Modena, etc.), but would like suggestions as to the best base to stay at. Thanks!

Posted by
37 posts

I love both cities, and believe you can't go wrong with either. You may want to consider where your day trips will take you. For example, if you're doing a day in Ravenna, Bologna would be closer. Modena of course is in between Parma and Bologna, so that one really wouldn't matter.

Posted by
535 posts

As told above, as base for daily train trips Bologna is better. But of course depends where you want to go. From Parma to Ferrara or Ravenna for example there aren't direct trains.
Both are nice cities, even if Bologna is much bigger and usually more crowded, but depends by the period of the year.

Posted by
34 posts

Our day trip plans from Bologna (if we use it as our base) are to Parma and perhaps Modena. No plans for Ravenna.

Posted by
1241 posts

I have stayed in both. Loved Bologna, the food can't be beat. We happened to catch an outdoor rock concert there by chance. Fun!
In Parma we were able to easily take one of those tours that go to Parmigiano Cheese factory, Parma Ham factory, Modena Balsamic vinegar factory, and a winery for lunch.
Can't go wrong with either IMO.

Posted by
43 posts

Yes! Either should be fine. Having just returned from Bologna last week I faced the same choice and saved Parma for another time. But if you want smaller and more tranquil stay in Parma, as several accommodations there sounded really exciting! We booked rooms in Bologna in April and got a fantastic flat (260 euro, 3 nights), as it is supposedly a b--ch trying to get anything good due to constant trade fairs. Stay on Via Bertieri or close to Via Oberdan. The restaurants are unsurpassed, and I'm a vegetarian.