Please sign in to post.

Bologna, Italy

We are looking for a 2-3 day get away prior to our cruise out of the Chioggio Terminal (near Venice) and thought about Bologna, Italy. Looking for comments / thoughts on Bologna and things to do / see there?

Posted by
15939 posts

Just google "Bologna what to see/do" and you will find plenty of hits that you can peruse and decide what interests you. Bologna has plenty to keep you busy for a couple of days.

Posted by
1 posts

I just booked the "Italian Days" full day food tour for my daughter/husband for their honeymoon. I did that tour back in 2018 and it was the highlight of the trip. Balsamic Vinegar making, Parmesan cheese making and Prosciutto includes a great lunch.
I also did a day trip to Ferrer a pretty cool walled city. I was obsessed with the pub where Copernicus stayed.
Also find your way to Sorbetteria Castiglione for gelato not just my opinion. I asked some locals. Best gelato in Bologna.

Posted by
555 posts

Bologna is a great spot to indulge and satisfy any food cravings, you're not going to find singular destination attractions like you would in the big-3 of Italian travel but, its a great city to walk-around, eat and generally absorb the vibe of being in a foreign country.

Keep in mind, Padua isn't too far away from Venice-area and a little further is Verona, both excellent destinations for visitors. Ferrara is another underrated destination with it city center castle and moat, and its close by to Chioggio.

Posted by
121 posts

I agree with previous post about the "Italian Days" food tour...did that in 2022 and was amazing! It is a full day but just loved it...very informative and the food (tastings plus lunch} was so good! our guide Allesandro was charming and fun.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi there!
We stayed in Bologna about five years ago for a few days, and found it to be quite non-touristy. It is an amazing and atmospheric place to wander through. Our hotel balcony overlooked the cathedral. Away from the main piazza we enjoyed restaurants buzzing with locals. For us, Bologna was somewhat intense in terms of being less tourist-focused; however, looking back we had some amazing experiences there.

Posted by
521 posts

Bologna's official tourism website is "Bologna Welcome" and has a wealth of information.

Posted by
169 posts

We stayed at the Starhotels Excelsior Hotel twice, right across from Bologna Centrale train station, and would definitely stay there again when visiting Bologna. It's an easy 20 minute walk from there down Via dell'Indipendenza to Piazza Maggiore.

What a town for foodies!!!

Posted by
27812 posts

I've stayed near the train station, too, but I don't recommend the area to others unless they're just staying there one night and want to prioritize dumping their luggage ASAP. It's not a particularly attractive area. Next time I'll find a place between the train station and the middle of the historic district, even though it will mean pulling my bag for 10 or 15 minutes.

Posted by
1895 posts

We spent 3 nights in Bologna at the end of our month in Italy last September. We found a AirBnB that was pretty amazing, very near the center of town.

Things to do. EAT. that's the #1. Just wander down the side streets and find a place that looks good and go eat. We enjoyed shopping the open markets in the old town too.

Take a FREE walking tour. You can find them by simply googling those words. That would be the best for the first day there to get an idea of the city and where you would want to go back and explore further.

We did the walk up to the San Luca chapel. It was fun, but if you aren't in good shape, you might consider skipping it, if you are a decent walker, it offers a great view back to the town.

If the tower is open (due to the other tower falling down !) You can also climb to the top of degli Asinelli.

We also visited the Ferrari museum this time. If you like cars and the history of Ferrari, it's worth a visit. (the movie is out now too, so maybe watch that before your trip to get more background)

Two days would probably be long enough in Bologna, if you do 3 days then:
You could also consider taking the train to Parma for a food tour there, or to visit the city center (not a far walk from the train station, maybe 15 min) We spent a day in Parma and took a food tour by bike...that was really fun, so if you enjoy an easy bike ride to get some exercise and the food tasting...that's a great option as well. Davide was delightful and fun https://www.bikefoodstories.it/?lang=en

We are active 70 year olds, so not sure of your age or fitness, but we really enjoyed walking and hiking and bike riding around Bologna..