Please sign in to post.

please critique, Venice/Bologna April 2016

I am in the beginning stages of planning our Italian trip #2 and Bologna is on my itinerary. I was planning on going either in March or April 2016. I have looked on a few different websites and many hotels seem to be booked or very expensive for the dates that I am looking. I have read that trade fairs sometimes take place in the area but cannot seem to find which month these take place. I was very surprised to find hotels booked so far in advance as I did not experience this on my first trip which was to both Rome and Florence in November 2014 with only 4 or 5 months of planning beforehand. Can anyone tell me if there are trade fairs going on at this time in Bologna or why hotels may be booked so far in advance? I would also like any thoughts on Bologna during these months from anyone on the forum who has visited at this time. I also plan on including Venice, Verona, Ravenna, Parma and Modena in this trip. Nothing for this trip is final and I can easily change which month I am traveling. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Posted by
693 posts

We were there in late March/early April this year. Had great weather and the place was certainly not crowded with tourists.

We stayed at the following property, which was in a great location about 10 minutes walk from the city centre. There were lots of restaurants in the same street, which was semi pedestrianised. They have vacancies during the time you are looking at traveling and you can always book now as they have free cancellation on booking.com (up to about 2 weeks before travel.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/pratello-garden.en-gb.html

Posted by
15204 posts

It might be because it's too early to book for 2016. I've never had problems finding accommodation in big Italian cities, including Bologna, even on the same day or the day before.

Posted by
32824 posts

In March I have had snow in Bologna.

Posted by
4105 posts

It may be because Easter is March 27th. I would call or e-mail the hotels you're interested in.

Posted by
1704 posts

We flew in and out of BLQ for many years and you're right about the conventions, affecting both hotels and airlines. In 1999 I paid $400. to sleep in a shoebox. Keep juggling and you'll find a hole in the demand that's driving the prices.

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks to those of you who responded. I am thinking of traveling mid to late April 2016 at this point. I would really appreciate a critique of my itinerary. This trip will be longer than my first, with more towns to visit. I would like to know if it is too ambitious. Am I dedicating too many days to Venice? Should I visit any other towns in the region instead? All comments are appreciated. I am omitting dates because those are still in the works and may change.
*depart from home
*land Venice, sleep Venice
*Venice
*Venice
*Verona day trip, sleep Venice
*Padova day trip, train to Bologna, sleep Bologna
*Bologna
*Bologna
*Parma day trip, sleep Bologna
*Modena day trip, sleep Bologna
*Ravenna, sleep Ravenna
*Ravenna, train to Venice
*Venice
*depart Venice for home

Posted by
32824 posts

I really don't see how it is possible to spend too much time in Venice.

Have a trip to Donolo for me.

Posted by
693 posts

My only points would be that:

1. Staying in Venice and doing day trips can be an expensive option as you are paying Venice accommodation rates prices but looking at places outside Venice.

2. Doing day trips from Venice can be time consuming, depending on where in Venice you are staying. Iff you are up near St Marks it can take a while to get to the station and you need to allow a buffer as the Vaparetto service can be a little slow and irregular at times. If you are staying near the station then it is not so much of an issue.

Posted by
4 posts

I would suggest you move to Padova or Verona after three nights in Venice, if these are towns you want to see, and take day trips to the alternate. If you stay in Verona you have the additional option of day trips to Vicenza (the Palladian town), the lovely town of Mantova with its lakes, castle and Rigoletto sites (the centro storico is about 10 minutes walk from the station, and you can imagine yourself in Rigoletto and to Lake Garda (14 minutes by train from Verona and a five minute walk to the lovely centro storico of Peschiera del Garda), which gives you variety of scenery and experience. Always try to mix your experiences - churches and museums with scenery. Check the ferry timetable on Lake Garda as March and April are not the height of the tourist season. Remember, too, to get north of Piazza delle Herbe in Verona which is quieter and rich in experiences - Roman theatre and bridge, gardens, better restaurants and wonderful churches.
Bollogna is a great town but both Padova and Verona are better bases and more to see. I have spent a week in both towns and there is plenty to do.
Try self catering - most Italian self catering places will take 3 nights. Explore the Trenitalia site as you can book ticketless places on fast trains and select the most economical option.

April might be a better time as it can be cold in March in North Italy.

Posted by
7175 posts

12 nights in this region with minimal hotels would see me
Land in Venice and local train to Verona (2 nights) ... possible day trip to Mantua
Bologna (5 nights) ... possible day trips to Ravenna, Parma, Modena, Ferrara
Padua (2 nights) ... possible day trip to Vicenza
Venice (3 nights)