Please sign in to post.

Bologna hotels

Hi all,
I will be flying in and out of Bologna for my two week trip to Italy next month and I have no idea where to stay. I've never been there before, it isn't covered in Rick Steves' guidebook and I don't know anyone who's been there before. Does anyone have a moderately priced hotel they'd recommend?

Posted by
1003 posts

Just about a month ago, I stayed at the Hotel Paradise. I quite liked it a lot, it's in a good location, very reasonably priced, wonderful staff, good breakfast, clean, comfortable, etc. Bologna is great!

Posted by
3250 posts

In September we stayed at Albergo delle Drapperie

It's in the city center--we walked from the train station and it took about 15 minutes--not sure about transportation from the airport. The location is perfect for exploring Bologna!

Posted by
1170 posts

Hotel Porta San Mamolo. I've stayed there and they are reasonably priced and in very easy walking distance to the central piazza, shopping and restaurants. It is opposite the city center from the train station though, but it's a short taxi ride. I found the taxi drivers to be very honest, unlike their counterparts in Rome and Florence. Hotel Porta San Mamolo gets good reviews on TripAdvisor.com also. You will love Bologna and it's food. It is not nearly as touristy as other Italian cities.

http://www.hotel-portasanmamolo.it/

Posted by
110 posts

I would second Hotel Porta San Mamolo. They have a great breakfast and a nice courtyard.

Posted by
7737 posts

The location of Albergo delle Draperie really is outstanding, but we had a problem with the room they gave us last May. It had a strong smell of sewer gas. And the bathtub was not easy to use. You couldn't lie back in it because you would be poked in the back by either the drain controls or the water controls. And you couldn't stand up in it because the ceiling immediately above it was at an angle. But the front desk people were very helpful and pleasant. Had we known about the sewer gas and tub problems, we would have just asked for a different room, since those were our only complaints.

Posted by
3250 posts

We did have a sewer gas problem at a hotel that we stayed at in Lucca but not the Albergo delle Drapperie. Our room was small but comfortable. I agree with Michael that the hotel staff was very helpful, giving us great restaurant recommendations with detailed maps so we could find our way to them.

Posted by
1540 posts

Hi - I would recommend the Albergo Centrale in Bologna. The rooms are very nice, large, inexpensive. Nice breakfast.
The location is 1 block from the central piazza.
I agree Bologna is a great place. (I found it on the internet - searching for budget hotels in Bologna.)