Please sign in to post.

Bologna hotels

Hi all,

After RS tour, I will be going to Bologna for 4 nights. Unfortunately, it will be in early July 2019 -- due to work commitments I can't go on vacation until late June. Anyway, I have narrowed it down to 3 hotels:

1. Albergo Centrale - has been recommended here before - my only concern is it's a 2-star hotel (I generally prefer 3-star) - what's missing?
    https://www.albergocentralebologna.it/en/

2. Albergo delle Drapperie - 16 EUR more per night than Albergo Centrale but breakfast not included

http://www.albergodrapperie.com/

3. Paradise Hotel - 6 EUR more per night than Albergo Centrale, breakfast included http://www.hotelparadisebologna.it/rooms-services.html

I think all three are well-located. I don't care about breakfast as much. I believe all three have A/C (Albergo Centrale website says nothing about A/C but TripAdvisor says it's available). All have wifi but TripAdvisor reviews are mixed on how well wifi works. Which one would you choose? Or have another recommendation? I am trying to keep it no more than 100 EUR per night.

Thanks,
Mary

Posted by
3161 posts

I stayed at the Centrale in October and recommend it. I don’t know why it only is rated 2 stars since I found it to be as good as or better than some higher rated properties in which I have stayed. I had no trouble at all with the WiFi connection or speed. I would definitely stay there again if I were to return to Bologna.

Posted by
27112 posts

There could be some technical reason why the Albergo Centrale doesn't qualify for three stars. I assume the rating schemes vary by country, but it could be something like too many rooms without private baths, no elevator, no 24-hour-a-day reception desk, etc.

Posted by
488 posts

I very much enjoyed my time in Bologna but, I've dropped the Albergo Centrale from my list of places to stay.

While I did not have any problems with my stay, I had recommended the place to some close friends, in which they had an incident where they caught a maid riffling through their bags. They stepped-out of the hotel but, upon hitting the streets, she realized she forgot her packable shopping bag. They made the U-turn and went back up to their room, upon entering there was a housekeeper with a guilty look on her face; door was not proper open nor, was there a cleaning supply trolley outside. Asking what she was doing there (at 5pm) she replied she was dropping off some towels. Friend goes to her bag to retrieve her shopping bag and notices the purchased ornaments that were wrapped-up in paper and taped-up, had been opened and appeared to have been hurriedly wrapped back up. They reported the incident to the front desk and the person shrugged it off as a misunderstanding she was delivering 'complementary towels'.

My friends checked-out and stayed at another location, no effort made by the hotel to remedy the situation. They surmised the front desk clerk was in cahoots with the housekeeper.

Posted by
62 posts

I stayed at the Paradise Hotel several years ago in July. It was clean and the air conditioning worked fine. I don't recall having issues with Wifi. Location was great, about halfway between the center and the train station. The front desk staff were very helpful. I hoped to stay there again this past summer but there was no availability when I was there. I stayed at the Nuovo Hotel del Porto which was also fine. A bit larger and more modern but well located with good air conditioning. I would stay at either again.

Posted by
32206 posts

Mary,

I was booked at the Hotel Paradise when I visited Bologna, but when I arrived there they informed me that there was a "problem with the bathroom", so had arranged a room for me at the nearby Hotel Holiday. From what I saw of Hotel Paradise, it appeared to be very similar to Hotel Holiday in terms of age, decor, features, etc. The decor in Holiday was a bit "dated" but it was clean and comfortable, and in a great location. Wi-Fi seemed a bit "erratic" but it worked most of the time, and they served a good breakfast.