Please sign in to post.

Bologna

I could not find Bologna in my Rick Steves Italy 2019. Where can I find tourist information about Bologna?

Posted by
141 posts

I've been researching for an upcoming trip to Bologna as well. I came across this article by The Travel Folk. It provides an in-depth overview of the city for travelers with links to resources.

Posted by
443 posts

I just spent a week in Bologna with day trips to Ravenna, Faenza, and Parma I am very much a guidebook user.
I used the Rough Guide mini guide to Bologna. It included Ravenna, Parma and other nearby towns. The ebook was cheap on Amazon and was from 2022 or 2023.
Someone on this forum suggested the Bradt Travel Guide for Emilia Romagna. This was an amazingly detailed resource listing more churches and museums than I could imagine visiting in a month. It also had more restaurants and hotels than the Rough Guide with some overlap. I was only able to find a 2017 or 2018 edition ebook from a local library so I couldn’t rely on times and prices but I used it extensively for an art and architecture guide and even good gelato.
For my day trip to Ravenna, the RS chapter on Ravenna was very good but it is only in some but not all editions of RS Italy and RS Venice.
I hope to write a trip report sometime soon.
The most recent Lonely Planet Italy book was not at all useful in my view. I had a library ebook with me but I would not recommend it.

Posted by
39 posts

Taste Bologna has a blog on their website that has covered a lot of interesting subjects, sometimes about food, often not. The subjects that popped up for me just now included best record stores in Bologna, 5 pastas you can't miss and where to get them, the Archiginnasio, 5 best gelatos, and 5 best things to do for sports fans. I also agree with the suggestion above about Bologna Welcome.

https://www.tastebologna.net/blog