Please sign in to post.

Bologna

I am going to be in Florence for four days this September. Would it be worth making a day trip to Bologna?? Any tips?

Posted by
3250 posts

Kate, I haven't traveled to Bologna from Florence so I'm not sure what the connections or transportation possibilities are. From a quick search it looks like it might be about one hour by train. The city center is a 15 minute walk from the train station. I love Bologna so I think it's worth a trip if you've done everything you want to do in Florence. Plan to tour the markets in Bologna and have lunch or dinner there. The restaurants are excellent. Would you have the option of spending a night there?

Posted by
1449 posts

Bologna has miles of covered sidewalks so its a great place to visit especially on a wet or very hot day. It is in the food capital of Italy. The TI gives a great walking tour of the city. There is a tower you can climb for a nice view. I've been there twice and have enjoyed it; however I'm not you and can't promise that you will :-)

Posted by
52 posts

Hi Kate, I am also going to Florence in Sept and am going to Bologna on the train-the poster earlier was right, it is just one hour. I am taking a cooking class there, which I am really excited about-after all, it is the gastronomic capital of Italy!! I have also heard it is very beautiful and not over run with tourists like Florence, so looking forward to that aspect as well. Have a safe and fun trip! Lisa

Posted by
29 posts

Lisa, what cooking class? I'll be in Bologna in October and would love to take a cooking class, if I can afford it. I'd appreciate any info you can share. Thanks! Also, post about it when you return!!

Posted by
1170 posts

Absolutely! The food there is great and it is far less touristy there. It's a college town. You will want to make your way (taxi or bus from the train station) to the Piazza Maggiore and get lost in the streets that radiate from there. You will get a good overview and find some interesting shopping (not regular tourist fare), particularly in the direction of the two towers.

Posted by
52 posts

The cooking class is Taste of Italy Bologna. This is the website http://taste-of-italy.blogspot.com/ The reviews on tripadvisor are great for her, and she is pretty cheap compared to others-some want 150-250Euros for 4 hours! This was only 75E-defly within my budget. FYI-I also took one in Rome last year and am doing another with him- www.cookingclassesinrome.com He was great too, and he only charges 50Euros for 4 hours. Learned alot and the highlight of my trip to Italy last year. Good Luck and happy cooking! lisa

Posted by
92 posts

Yes, I especially liked the center of town, away from the railroad station. In fact, one of the oldest universities in Europe (if not the oldest) is in Bologna. There isn't too much by the railway station that you will arrive in but you can take a bus to the center of town, and to the main piazza. As another poster has said, the city is the Capitol for culinary cooking and of the food for Italy. However, I must say, I have never been disappointed in any area that I have traveled in Italy, all areas have their specialties. Take care and have a great trip. Jerry

Posted by
1003 posts

Bologna is great! I remember asking the front desk of my hotel for "nontouristy" recommendations for restaurants (I stayed 3 nights) and they ladies said, this is bologna, nothing is touristy. I loved that. It's worth it just for the food, but it's also a really interesting city with some good small museums and amazing markets. the mercato delle erbe is a little harder to find - it's an indoor market mostly with fruits and veggies but other stuff too and it is literally a museum for food. On the other hand, I'm also of the firm belief that one could spend an entire lifetime in Florence and still not have enough time so as much as I enjoyed Bologna, it would pain me to suggest it in lieu of another day in florence! Either way, have a great time!