Please sign in to post.

Bologna

We are thinking about taking a little side trip to Bologna. Can anyone tell us things that we should not miss while there? Is it worth the visit? Thanks for your help.

Posted by
1883 posts

We based in Bologna for 3 nights in 07. Not a ton of stuff there. The towers are interesting, and you can walk to to the top of one of them for views of the roof tops, churches and hillsides around the city.

The food is wonderful.

The main piazza, not so grand. The Duomo is only 1/2 finished. The fountain in the piazza is well - you'll have to decide for yourself.

We walked around the park that was close to our hotel.

As a day trip, it would be OK, as long as it's not too far for you to travel to get there...other than that, I'd say skip.

We traveled to Modena, Verona and Ravenna from Bologna, wanting to see some of this region of Italy that we hadn't seen before.

Posted by
7737 posts

The best thing about Bologna is definitely the food. Also, it's quite the university city, so lots of students everywhere.

Here's a photo I took in one of the food shops.

Posted by
51 posts

We loved Bologna and spent two weeks exploring all the museums, especially the Etruscan sites, the cathedrals, the art. It has the oldest University in the Western World. We thought the unfinished facade of San Petronio Basilica was extraordinary. And the Basilica of Santo Stefano was remarkable and very moving. There was a wonderful market in the square the day we were there, music, food , vendors.
Bologna shouldn't be missed.

Posted by
143 posts

I loved my visit to Bologna for a cooking class and think it well worth a visit. It is sort of haven for foodies, with wonderful markets and restaurants. Interesting churches and museums, obviously not the must-see places like the Vatican but still fascinating. Good shopping and great strolling with the covered arcades, and with the university fun nightlife as well. What I really liked is that the city is not over-run with tourists, and think it is well worth it as a side trip, especially if you are into food. Just beware that there are periodically trade shows in the city, so demand for hotels and proced spikes at those times.

Posted by
7737 posts

If you go, do take the hop on/off tourist bus tour. It's worth it to get to see some of the sights.