Please sign in to post.

Bologna

We are planning a trip to Italy that includes the forgotten(for RS)city of Bologna. Any suggestions?

Posted by
10344 posts

Bologna deserves 2 days or 3 if you have them. Park your car and use public transport to get around this "dotta, grassa e rossi" city (learned, self-indulgent, and red)--because private auto traffic is forbidden downtown from 7am to 8pm. The two adjoining squares, Piazza Maggiore and Piazza del Nettuno together with Piazza di Porta Ravegnana form the heart of the "red" city (color of its masonry). There is so much else to see in this young university city that it would take a couple of pages to even summarize.

Posted by
87 posts

Thanks Kent,

We will probably be coming in from Venice by train. We want to daytrip to Ravenna on one day, so we might even add a third night to Bologna.

Posted by
10344 posts

Well, in that case you deserve a further description: Another special accommodation with good value for the money is Albergo Centrale. Da Bertino is an old-fashioned traditional trattoria with a loyal local following, which I believe has been enjoyed recently by Ron, the Helpline's "Rome correspondent," maybe Ron will join us tomorrow? (it's the middle of the night his time, we gave him the rest of the night off) Try not to miss:the Maesta by Cimabue in Santa Maria dei Servithe Torre PendentiBasilica di Santo Stefano

Posted by
2207 posts

Wayne,

I echo Kent's thoughts. We found Bologna incredible. It was SO different from what we expected. First, it was very clean! When you in Rome, amid much graffiti, etc. when we got to Bologna we felt like we were in another country.

The poriticos are amazing and we wandered and wandered. Two days is MINIMUM! We did use public transportation as we stayed about 1.2 miles from the center. The buses are clean - and on many you can buy tickets directly on the bus! We came home to the hotel one night about midnight and the bus was packed. But unlike Rome, it was primarily full of college students (1/5 of the population in Bologna attends university!). It was a lively, loud, fun bus ride with many languages and nationalities! What a melting pot!

On Kent's recommendation we ate at Da Bertino; I'd also heard about it from friends - and it did not disappoint. The food in Bologna is OUT OF SIGHT! We got up early and hit the local markets one morning and had a wonderful time!

We were impressed by Bologna - a very efficient, clean, younger city... Two days were not enough for us - we look forward to going back!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
87 posts

Thanks to you both,

We were thinking of a Spanish trip, but Venice, Bologna, Sorrento and Rome are calling. We use Rick for about 90% of our info on the European trips we have taken, I feel kinda naked without his help.

Posted by
7737 posts

We just got back from 3 weeks in Italy, with 2 nights in Bologna. We loved it and are definitely going back. The food is incredible. One of these days RS will come to his senses and start including it. Piazza Maggiore is the center of the city. Be sure to check out the HUGE cathedral there.

Posted by
143 posts

I had a terrific vist there last year. Nice stay at the Hotel Roma just south of Piazza Maggiore on Via d'Azeglio. Be sure to check the Information Center on Piazza Maggiore and the wonderful food markets just east of the piazza. Tamburini is a must-see gourmet deli, but the whole area is loaded with atmosphere and lots of dining options. Elsewhere I enjoyed meals at Ristorante Diana on Via Independenzia, and Graselli and Il Doge around the Due Torre. Don't miss Basilica San Luca in the south part of the city. Busses are frequent and easy to use with even a minimal amount of Italian. But more than the sights, it is just a delightful city to simply stroll and wander around.

Posted by
87 posts

OK, It's a landslide. Bologna deserves a couple of pages in Rick Steves Italy. His guide books have been expanding each year( to our advantage). I have a copy of his Europe in 22 days from 1985 (ancient history)and 2009 is the year for Bologna. I get exicted just planning the Italy trip.

Posted by
143 posts

I forgot to mention that Bologna is a big trade show / convention town, so during those events prices for rooms jump and hotel availability can be very tight.