Please sign in to post.

Bologna

I have a couple of layovers at the Bologna train station, and I'm wondering if it's worth extending them a little and visiting Bologna. My interests are primarily art (particularly early Renaissance), monasticism, and religion. Any recommendations? And how easy is it to get from the train station to points of interest? Thanks.

Posted by
1829 posts

The church(es) of Santo Stefano are definitely worth a visit. This collection of small churches is like nothing else I have seen so far in Italy. This link also covers native sites in the city. http://www.iguidez.com/Bologna/santo_stefano_church_part_1/ It is about a 15 to 20 minute walk from the station to Piazza Maggiore. Stop here to explore the side streets to the left of the Piazza and then go a further 10 minutes or so to Santo Stefano (or less maybe, we tend to amble and get sidetracked when we are walking around!) You can get a bus to the centre but the walk down Via Indipendenzia is worth doing. Use Google maps streetview to have a "walk" around to get a feel for the place.

Posted by
14 posts

I found the cathedral (San Pietro) fascinating, mostly for the story. The exterior is clearly half-finished as they (due to church politics IIRC) got their funding cut off. The interior is beautiful as well. I only did a day trip but as I recall the major points of interest are within reasonable walking distance of the train station.