Please sign in to post.

Blue grotto

Someone who went to Capri said that the boat ride to the Blue Grotto was not recommended because it may or may not happen depending on the weather. They said someone on their tour was told by the boat tour company they used asked for more money once they got in the boat to take them and then wound up not doing it due to the weather. They felt taken advantage of, Has anyone taken the Blue Grotto boat ride and was the experience worth it?

Posted by
16016 posts

While you're waiting for responses from the RS gang it might be useful to browse through the reviews of this attraction on TripAdvisor?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g488299-d195537-Reviews-Blue_Grotto-Anacapri_Island_of_Capri_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page to where they start, below "Contribute". As you'll see, experiences can vary greatly. It's also correct that the little boats can't get inside when the sea is too rough. We skipped it (and were never sorry) during our 2-night stay on the island so I don't have firsthand feedback for you but I'm sure you'll hear from forum members who can provide that.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, Kathy! This was very informative and it helped me decide that the Blue Grotto is not for me, especially when there are better alternatives that are free.

Posted by
15596 posts

I did this 30 years ago. It was underwhelming.

And, the entire time, the guy rowing the boat kept reminding that it was important to tip him.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, Frank ! This confirms what I’ve been hearing about the Blue Grotto experience.

Posted by
16016 posts

Glad those reviews were useful, suonford. As far as free alternatives, the island is great fun just to explore on foot. The further you explore away from the main piazzas in Capri and Anacapri, the lighter the crowds. Even though there is a ticket price, I will recommend the chairlift in Anacapri up to the top of Mt Solaro. If you're up to it, you could take the lift up and hike down.

https://www.capriseggiovia.it/en/impianto.html

Various other hiking/walking routes on the island:
https://www.capri.com/en/l/hiking-and-walking-trails-capri

You do not need any guided tours; just get a map and follow the directions provided for each hike/walk. We enjoyed hoofing it up to Villa Jovis (under "Villas of Tiberius", entry ticket Euro 6,00) and the Pizzolungo walk as well as some random rambles about to take in architecture and scenery. Stop into any of the churches you pass by if they're open.

Posted by
8 posts

This is great information, Kathy ! Much appreciated. Will definitely check these out. We love walking everywhere and hiking (but not mountain climbing). Thanks !

Posted by
329 posts

The boat ride around the island with the Blue Grotto is nice but if you're going on a day trip I would skip it because there are better things to do. I would go to Giardini di Augusto (beautiful garden with great views), Villa San Michele (beautiful garden and rooms, great views) and Monte Solaro (great views).

If you have two days in Capri, do the boat ride the second day. The boat ride takes about 90 minutes, about 45 minutes in you reach the Blue Grotto and if it's not too choppy, you can go inside. To go inside, you get in a little row boat and that's where the guy asks for tips. Just tell him you'll tip him and he wont keep asking.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, Marco! These suggestions sound great. Will try to do the hikes as we love wandering around the less crowded areas and appreciate great views.

Posted by
8 posts

geovagriffith,
Il guess it’s become too popular since the 80´s. You were fortunate to be able to enjoy it.