Please sign in to post.

Blue Grotto

We will be taking a one day trip to Capri. Should we see the Blue Grotto?

Posted by
7049 posts

Depends how you want to spend your limited time. I preferred to stroll around, hike to various viewpoints on the island, and enjoy long meals. The Blue Grotto was not appealing to me (I've seen something like it elsewhere), but to each his own.

Posted by
4759 posts

I'm glad it wasn't a priority for us. On the day we were there the weather and tides shut the boats down. We easily filled the day without it.

Posted by
7595 posts

I did it and was very glad that I did. Our boatman sang "OH Sola Mia" as we entered the amazing grotto. He got a nice tip for that.

Posted by
847 posts

I took a day trip from Sorrento to Capri on a boat excursion we got through our hotel. It gave us about 5 hours on our own in Caprl and then a boat trip around the island (before heading back to Sorrento). The boat stopped at the Blue Grotto and it was optional if you wanted to transfer to the little rowboats that take you into the grotto. I wasn't going to do it, felt it was too touristy and maybe a rip off (can't remember how much it cost, 10 or 20€ each and that was several years ago). At the last minute I decided since I was right there I should do it. It was so cool!! Loved it. Our guy also sang O sole mia. Very schlocky but it was so much fun. You go in in little row boats that hold 3 or 4 people and basically lie down in the bottom of the boat to go through the entrance. You get pretty wet. I'm so glad I did it. If you aren't on a boat ride around the island you walk down to the water and wait in line for the next rowboat.

Posted by
162 posts

Well, it would eat up a good part of your day. After three trips to Capri, I'd say there's a lot of better ways to spend your time there, especially if you only have that one day. I'd go for the chair lift up Monte Solaro and the hike down!

Posted by
15679 posts

We skipped it during our two nights on the island and were never sorry we did. If there's a tourist trap on Caprl, that's it as it's a time-consuming pain in the ___ for the very few minutes you get inside the thing, if the seas are even calm enough to GET inside in the first place. I spent a lot of time with reviews beforehand and made the decision based on that.

It's up to you but personally, I think there are better things to do.

Posted by
286 posts

I love being on the water, so I enjoyed the boat trip and loved seeing the Blue Grotto. Not something one does every day, and it is synonymous with Capri. For the amount of a pizza, this iconic site is accessible. You will forget the cost, but remember the experience. TIP - If you go, fill your pocket with coins, and pull that out for the tip to the guide so you don't need to go into your wallet in front of him.

The naysayers sound like the ones on this forum who say going up the Leaning Tower of Pisa is a tourist rip-off too. There are reasons these sites are iconic and known throughout the world. When you return from your trip, what do you want your memories to be? Isabel - thanks for the link. The photos are amazing!

Posted by
7277 posts

Unique geologic sights and experiences are rare, and if someone can make a buck or two off of it (or to help keep it from being totally overrun by non-paying gate crashers), that’s the price of admission. If you’ve made it all the way to Capri, definitely see it, if possible.

My one visit to Capri (so far) 6 1/2 years ago was going to include the blue grotto, but as CJean above experienced, the rough waters closed it for the day, and so it wasn’t an option. If I get another trip to Capri, the grotto will be a priority. Hope you get to see it before then!

Posted by
15679 posts

When you return from your trip, what do you want your memories to be?

Ours? We hiked up to Villa Jovis (no tour, it's easy to do on your own) for a fascinating look at the ruins of a Roman emperor's retreat and expansive view of the Gulf of Naples. Also hiked to Pizzolungo and Arco Naturale, took the chairlift from Anacapri to the top of Mt. Solaro, and some other fun stuff.

There's no wrong answer as long as it works for you but, well, let's just say we made memories without the grotto. :O)