Please sign in to post.

Blue Grotto

Can anyone please tell me how difficult it is to get from your larger boat into the small one to enter the Blue Grotto and then reverse the process. Is there anyone that is helping you, as you attempt to make the transfer.

Posted by
1026 posts

Hello mackykm, and welcome to the forum!

I wish I could answer your question but the only time I was in Capri it was still too unsettled after a storm the day before to visit the Blue Grotto.

But here is a Youtube video that show the transfer from larger boats (if briefly):
https://youtu.be/U36SodK3pvA?feature=shared&t=34

Apparently you can also approach on foot and step into the rowboat directly from the dock if you're worried about this:
https://youtu.be/eyUh8DsHcdU?feature=shared&t=422

There are probably more videos out there if you want to explore the options. There are many boats going out there (as you can see in the video) so you can probably shop for one that seems the easiest to transfer from if you're interested.

Hope that helps, have a great trip!
=Tod

Posted by
15809 posts

A lot will depend on how choppy the sea is on that day. Yes, the boat operators will help you, but overall I’d say it is not difficult if you don’t have mobility issues. I wouldn’t recommend it for people who are too old and/or too heavy to do that task safely.

Posted by
4 posts

I think most people would look at the written number of my age and say I am very old. That said, if I didn't consider myself 'fit,' I would back away from the whole trip to the Amalfi Coast. I exercise every day and walk between 3 to 5 miles a day. My only problem is my knees don't bend as easily as they used to. I'm not at all concerned about lying down in the small boat and getting up. It's only getting into and out of that little boat.

After reading the advice of you and the other gentleman, I think I'll simply play it by ear. If I am uncomfortable attempting to transfer from one boat to the other, I'll simply stay in the first boat. Thank you very much for taking the time to write. Macky

Posted by
1026 posts

I always recommend that if you have the opportunity to go ahead and do it - or at least try.

My wife passed on climbing the leaning tower in Pisa in the 80s and had to wait many decades before she got another chance. Notre Dame roof was closed my first trip to Paris but we squeezed it in 10 minutes before closing during our last night so I did get to go at least once before it burned.

You never know what's going to happen and to quote Wayne Gretzky "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Be bold and carpe diem, mackykm!

=Tod

Posted by
4 posts

Tod, you are spot on. Believe me, it is going to take a lot for me to pass that up. Primary reason for my being a bit discouraged is I have friends with a boat that is anchored in very calm waters; still the only way I can get myself onto their boat from the dock is to sit on the edge of their boat that they are holding so it touches the dock and swing my legs over. I don't quite see that happening in the choppy waters of Capri.
I'm going in April and if the BG is closed the first day I am there, I'll go on another day. If this Forum is still open, I'll post what I hope will be my success and how I did it, so others can see. I assure you that my way of doing it will not be the norm!! Macky

Posted by
8060 posts

I did this back in the 1980s and found it easy.

Also, we loved the Blue Grotto. Yes, we had to bend over just to go into the grotto, but it was amazing.

Posted by
4 posts

Oh, I know I will love it, which is why I want to do it so badly. I don't mind bending to enter; first step is to get myself onto the boat!!! Absolutely on my to-do list. Thank you so much. Macky