Please sign in to post.

Biking in Rome

Does anyone know if there are any free/paid electric bicycles to rent. I have a mobility problem with walking but can bicycle.

Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
16409 posts

Jean, here's the #1 bike rental outfit, recommended by Mr. Steve's himself, I'm not aware of any company at all that offers bikes for free other than some accommodations which might offer them to their guests.

https://www.topbikerental.com/nuovosito/eng/index.php

That said, you're not going to want to ride willynilly in the streets of Rome. The traffic can be dense and frankly scary on two wheels (and no, you can't ride on the sidewalks) so I'd only ride routes they might recommend, such as mostly pedestrian areas, or take one of their tours, which will enhance the safety factor. There are probably some maps for bikers out there too, or the rental place might have one; you could email them and ask? Be specific about your biking experience and mobility challenges.

Posted by
7209 posts

Rone is not a place where I ever imagined riding a bike. Come to think of it, I donโ€™t remember seeing too awfully many bicycles in Rome. Personally I would not venture out on a bike on Roman streets.

Posted by
23574 posts

As a avid, long distance, touring cyclist, Rome is about the last place I would consider riding a bike -- electric or otherwise. The streets are not in the greatest repair with lots of cobble stone and brick. Then you add in the crowds of walking tourists and the traffic, it is just a poor place for bicycling. Riding on a sidewalk would be totally out of the question. And mingling with the cars and especially the Vespas on the street a real challenge. Sorry for being so negative.

Posted by
16409 posts

Sorry for being so negative.

Frank, I don't think you're being negative. IMHO, you're being thoughtfully realistic. Heck, just crossing some Roman streets on foot can be hairy until you get used to them!

Posted by
7737 posts

Jean, you might find taxis to be a helpful option in the city. Most rides within the historic center should be twelve euros or less.

Best wishes.

Posted by
525 posts

If we take a taxi (there are 4 of us) would 12Euros be per taxi or per person; i.e. say from the Piazza Navona to St. Peter's?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted by
11294 posts

The charge on the meter is per taxi, not per person. There can be legitimate surcharges, such as for putting bags in the trunk, but these should be indicated on a placard in the cab.

If you call a cab (or have it called for you, say by a restaurant or hotel), the driver starts the meter as soon as they get the call from the dispatcher, so your cab arrives with the meter running and some euros already on it; this is legitimate. You can also see if there's a nearby cab stand, which will not have a surcharge, but sometimes the extra charge for calling a taxi is worth it.

Posted by
16409 posts

Jean, I'm just curious? What is your plan for managing your mobility issue at train stations and attractions which might involve covering quite a bit of ground and/or steps? It might help to know what attractions you intend to sightsee and just how limiting your mobility issues are?