Please sign in to post.

Biking in Lucca

We may spend half a day in Lucca. I am interesting in biking there but I know my mother couldn't do that. Though we are in general not opposed to splitting up, I am reluctant to do so in a place we aren't staying and my mother wouldn't be able to retreat to the hotel if she wanted to. Does anyone have suggestions for what my mother could do while I bike?

Posted by
32222 posts

Julie, Is your Mother capable of a bit of biking? When I was in Lucca last year, I saw people riding larger "sit down" bikes. I had a brief look at my photos, and it appears these have one wheel either in the back or front, and two at the other end. If you could do most of the work, she might be able to just enjoy the ride. Happy travels!

Posted by
304 posts

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think her knees bend enough for biking.

Posted by
10259 posts

There are many outdoor cafes. Maybe she could sit and enjoy a drink and people watching.

Posted by
11294 posts

You can also just walk on top of the wall, instead of (or in addition to) biking on top of it.

Posted by
396 posts

There are three wheeled bikes you can rent in Lucca. And she could sit in the seat in back and not have to pedal. There are many benches up along with walls with great views down into Lucca. She could sit on one of those while you biked the ramparts. There is a cute park with a merry-go-round that she could sit in....lots of different places in Lucca.....several piazzas where she could relax.

Posted by
894 posts

You probably are not going to gone that long, so I would find her a nice cafe in the ampitheatre piazza in the middle of Lucca - its a wonderful place to sit and enjoy coffee, people watch, have some pastries or a panino and absorb Lucca.

Posted by
8716 posts

Agree with Karren. Take your mother on the ride or at least ride her up onto the wall and then let her sit on one of the many benches along the wall. She can watch the bikers, walkers, joggers pass by. Or let her sit at a table outside a cafe and nurse a coffee or have lunch without you.