Please sign in to post.

Better choice?

When renting car in Florence and given the fact that there are ZLTs(areas where you can get an expensive ticket if you inadvertently enter those areas) , would it be better to rent from Avis at Firenze Airport Vespucci and travel to SR 222 south to Siena or rent from Avis @ Via Borgognissanti and go south? We're staying in a hotel 2 blocks from Duomo and would take a taxi(I guess?) and proceed directly to the car rental agency. Taxi rates are greater for travel to airport than Borgognissanti, but is it more difficult with ZLTs from Borgognissanti?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Bob

Posted by
6015 posts

Bob-
Roberto was a great help to me when I had the same decision to make. I am sure he will come along and explain your options.
We are also staying in Florence near the Duomo and have booked a rental car from Hertz and the Via del Sansovino location- we plan to take a cab to pick up the car and from there we will head right out of town towards Siena. You can easily do the same from the Borgognissanti location.

Posted by
15144 posts

Go to Borgo Ognissanti. You don't get fined on exiting the city center. Drive west all the way to Viale Fratelli Rosselli where you turn right.
Set your GPS to take you to Grassina.
Don't set it to Siena or it will send you a different route (thru the freeway). You want the 222 not the freeway.
Grassina is on the 222 and you have to pass thru it. Then from Grassina is easy. Just follow the road to Greve and Siena.
Drink and drive in moderation.
Bon Voyage.

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks for the reply. We're traveling through Florence and Tuscany from May 5 through May 12...maybe we'll bump into you all.
Bob

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks, Roberto, you've just prevented a migraine because of our indecision. The tip on Grassina for the GPS is a good one. Thanks again.
Bob & Linda