Please sign in to post.

Best Way to Travel from Rome to Positano

Hello,
I was wondering what would be be the best way to travel from Rome to Positano, and Positano to Rome? I'm interested to hear options whether it is a little more costly but efficient and fast, but also would like to know the cost effective way too. Thank You So Much!

Posted by
5063 posts

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Positano+travel&utf8=%E2%9C%93

There are no fast and efficient options. The area is congested with a very weak transportation network.

Private car runs around 350€ one way. We used Aldo Limos for Sorrento to Rome airport, so I'm assuming Positano would be around the same cost.
You could train to Naples, then a private car, around 100 €, I'm guessing, again based on our Sorrento experience.

Currently the Positano ferry dock is damaged from a recent storm, so ferries not operating.
The SITA area buses are jammed and have waiting lines in the hundreds.

Perhaps others who have stayed in Positano can chime in.
Good luck!

Posted by
6542 posts

Fast train from Rome to Salerno or Naples then private driver

If ferries running to Positano you could take ferry from Salerno- change in Amalfi to ferry or driver to Positano

We used this company
www.topexcursionsorrento.com

Posted by
3202 posts

Consider going from Rome to Salerno and then taking a ferry to Positano. If the dock in Positano is closed, go to Amalfi which is a transportation hub. There you can proceed by bus or t@xi.

Posted by
11405 posts

If you are like many travelers, and are traveling from Positano to Rome to catch a flight, you need to be in Rome the night before.

As others have touched on, it is a multi-modal task to travel between Rome -Positano, so 'fast(er)' is a comparative, not an absolute concept

Posted by
4253 posts

Even throwing money at it will not make it fast and efficient. The entire Amalfi Coast is just not easy to navigate. Count on at least €600 from Rome with a private driver and will still likely take you 4 hours.

Posted by
12 posts

We did Naples to Positano via private driver for 150 Euro. The return trip was the same cost and we took a fast train from Naples to Rome.