Please sign in to post.

Best of Italy September 2024

Hey,
Seeking advice & hoping to meet others on “Best of Italy 9/8/24”.
I would like to know if we should get dinner reservations in Varenna before arriving or wing it.

Restaurant recommendations either way please.

Posted by
14533 posts

So, you'll be there a Sunday and Monday night? Are you going up to Varenna the day the tour starts? IF you were going to be there on Saturday night before the tour, I'd suggest a reservation although I am not one to make dinner reservations.

This is an excellent tour! You will see so much!

Where is your tour date staying in the Dolomites? On my tour in 2022 we were in Castelrotto on a Sunday evening and the guide did not realize so many things were closed so a number of people in the group did not get much of a dinner. You'll be there on a better day of the week so you should not have trouble here.

My usual "M.O." for a tour stop for lunch is to find a place with take away sandwiches, eat quickly and see some of the town. In Verona I fortunately had my RS Italy guide book on my phone and Rick's map gave me the location of the public bathrooms in the city center where we were dropped off for lunch and were to meet back up in an hour or so. I grabbed a sandwich from the market there and walked around. In Bolzano I knew I was going to want to spend all my time in the Archeology Museum so on the walk from the bus to the museum scoped out a few places to get a grab and go sandwich. That worked really well as I just got the sandwich and ate it at the meet up location while people were gathering.

Make sure you read Rick's guide book on Verona. Some people on our tour were disappointed that the walking tour did not go by "Juliet's Balcony" which is a modern addition to bring in tourists.