Please sign in to post.

best of italy in 17 days

we are planning on taking this trip in the spring, but can't decide if we should go April 22-May 8 or May 22-June 7. We are concerned it may be too cold in the Dolomites/Lake Como area the first dates and too crowded with college kids for the second dates. Could someone tell me what the weather is really like in the spring and if college kids are a factor end of May early June. We were originally going to go in early April but didn't want to go during Easter because of the crowds. any info would be helpful.

Posted by
4836 posts

I don't like cold weather or crowds. I have gone to Italy or another Mediterranean country every May (late May) for years, and I consider it an ideal time to visit. Popular places will be crowded in April as well as May.

Posted by
6475 posts

We usually travel in May and June, and I haven't noticed college kids. There will be plenty of tourists though, but except for the Vatican (does this tour go there?) and Cinque Terre, I don't think they'd impact your tour much.

Posted by
1069 posts

I would go on the later dates. I think you will have warmer weather and that would be more important than the increase in crowds.

Posted by
11680 posts

Where, exactly, in the Dolomites are you headed? Yes, it might be cool, even with the May 22-June 7 dates, but the bigger issue is functioning lifts if you plan to go up high and do any hiking.