Please sign in to post.

Best Hop On Hop Off Bus in Rome

I know that almost nobody likes these buses, but I admit to being tourist enough to like to get on one and ride around the city on my first afternoon in town. I don't even feel the need to hop off, just like sitting on top and riding around, getting my bearings. We will be staying near the Piazza del Popolo, so a convenient stop would be nice.

Since I was last in Rome, there are a number of choices. Considering that what I really want to do is just ride around, anybody have an opinion/comment for me? I know about the electric minibuses, but again, I sure like that up-in-the-air feeling and even a bit of lame commentary :-)

Thanks!

Beth

Posted by
105 posts

Try Viator.com. Big red Roma bus with open top. About 30$ for all day.

Posted by
1501 posts

I've been to Italy many times, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking the hop on hop off bus! It's a great way to acclimate yourself to the city. The red one is best, and if you want to hop off, just do it!

Posted by
23267 posts

We always use the hop on/off buses when new to a city. Best way to get a good overview.

Posted by
11613 posts

In Rome you have a few choices, the regular ho-ho, the Archeobus that goes out to Via Appia Antica, and the Christianity tour that goes to the major churches and religious sights. There's also an open-top city tour bus. I think it's the 110. I took one once, I understand the appeal but I wouldn't do it again.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, Zoe! Hopefully I wouldn't have to do it again, having gotten myself oriented :-)

Anyone feel there's an advantage or disadvantage in buying tickets from the US before going?

Thanks again!

Posted by
11613 posts

I don't know of any advantage in buying tickets in advance; when I used it you bought tickets on the bus or at the stop. They all depart from Piazza del Cinquecento in front of Roma Termini.

Posted by
154 posts

Here are some recommendations Rick and many of here in the Travel Center have enjoyed: 110 Bus by ATAC city-bus or Archeobus. Rome is one of the cities I do feel is enjoyable with a hop-on hop-off bus since there is a lot to see above ground.