Please sign in to post.

Best day trips from Florence

My friend and I are going to Italy in February primarily to take photos in the off-season. We're relying on public transportation (train, bus) and don't want to pack/unpack frequently. Would appreciate suggestions on good day trips from Florence for photo ops. Thanks all!

Posted by
16409 posts

Knome, this might be a great place to start?

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&filter=Travel+Forum&query=Day+trips+from+Florence&utf8=✓

I don't know as it being off-season is going to matter much as far as the majority of locations that are going to be suggested in the threads listed. I would avoid the Cinque Terre unless the weather is really nice. Rain, of course, will affect your shutterbugging most places at any time of the year.

Posted by
3122 posts

[edited] In February the weather will surely be milder than what you get in Edmonton, but there won't be a lot of landscape beauty, so you'll probably want to focus (oops, pun) on photographing architecture, street scenes, cityscapes and that sort of thing. And indoors, such as church/cathedral interiors. The advantage is that it will be less crowded than in spring-summer-fall, so you'll have a better chance of getting "clean" photos without people in them.

Here's a fun website about photographing inside churches and cathedrals; it could also apply to castles and some museums. The reader comments have some useful tips, too. https://www.scottdavenportphoto.com/blog/5-tips-for-photographing-churches-and-cathedrals

Choosing which specific towns to visit will depend on how many days you have, your energy level, and which photographic subjects are your highest priority. The region around Florence has a fairly robust network of bus routes, but when it comes to trains you'll be limited.

Posted by
245 posts

Siena looks stunning (especially but not exclusively the Duomo). I had planned a day trip there in a few weeks from Florence (60 min bus trip), but I might actually stay overnight because it looks so inviting.

Posted by
5 posts

We went to Florence for two weeks two years ago and went to Bologna and Pisa by train and to Siena by bus. They were all easy and enjoyable trips.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to Italy in winter presents new challenges that are less familiar.

Posted by
2055 posts

We enjoyed a day from Florence to Lucca to Pisa and back by train. Frequent trains and short rides. Safe travels.

Posted by
1538 posts

We greatly enjoyed going to Pistoia --- about half an hour by train from Florence. Several stripey churches and lovely piazze and other interesting buildings and a farmers market and an early 1300's frescoed chapel (the Cappella del Tau) with lively and unusual scenes of bible stories.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you all for the suggestions. Appreciate your time.