Please sign in to post.

Best day trip from Rome

What is the best day trip from Rome?

Posted by
11506 posts

Tivoli Gardens, Many fountains, beautiful, along with Villa d’Est

Posted by
405 posts

Define "best". How far/long in terms of travel time do you consider "worth it" to spend on a day trip - how much do you wish to spend?

To clarify:
From Central Rome you could get to Naples or Florence in 75 minutes by high speed train if you are prpared to spend €50 (prices vary - book early to get the best deals)
For significantly less, you can get a train to Orvieto in around an hour.
A local ticket will get you to Ostia Antica - if you want Roman ruins, but don't want to go all the way to Pompeii.

There are so many options, and what's best for you is purely down to your own interests.
Having said all that, my favourite is Villa d'Este in Tivoli

Posted by
7773 posts

Note: If you have not spent at least four days of Rome city touring, there is no good day trip. You should see more of Rome, and daytrip on your next trip to Italy. You're likely to pass through Rome anyway.

Posted by
8309 posts

Another good day trip is Zagarolo--20 miles south of Rome. It's where the gladiators trained in gymnasiums to fight. And where Roman soldiers' helmets were made.
Palestrina is a city close by Zagarolo that was rediscovered after Allied bombs in WWIII destroyed much of the settlement, and up popped a huge Pagan temple from the ruins. There's a 1500' mountain above Palestrina that you can walk down 3000 year old paths to the city.
The suburbs of Rome just have an incredible number of sights to see that most travelers never take time to venture to.

Posted by
802 posts

We enjoyed Ostia Antica, too. Just as significant a site as Pompeii without all the crowds and noise. On a recent middle-of-the-week visit, we saw about 5 other people. There's also a little museum there which is really well done.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to share your views! I’m travelling with teens and I really appreciate any insights I can get!!
Araceli

Posted by
3262 posts

Ostia Antica is a must see and if planned properly can be done as a half-day excursion. The gardens in Tivoli are wonderful but I think with teenagers, a trip to Orvieto would be more to everyone’s liking. It’s a smaller, hilltop town with an underground tour, great Duomo and wonderful old streets to explore. Quintessential old time Italy.