Please sign in to post.

Best base and recommendations for visiting Amalfi Coast first week of August 2024?

We will be 4 adults and 2 children visiting the Amalfi Coast during the first week of August. The children will be 7 and 9, and my in-laws are in their 70s. Yes, I know it's high season and it'll be crazy. Unfortunately, the dates are not adjustable. Do you have any recommendations for which town to base our stay? And which hotels you have liked? We will not have a car, and my in-laws might want to hire a driver/take ferries rather than take a bus. They are looking for a full-service type of situation, very comfortable but not necessarily luxurious. My understanding is that they also prefer an accommodation that can help with bookings/logistics, and, if there's no on-site restaurant, then good food locations nearby.

Posted by
6989 posts

Stay in Sorrento.
Lots of really good restaurants, transportation hub, fun walking around town, etc

Not actually ON the Amalfi Coast but works well for a group such as yours.
No need for a car- nothing but a headache there.

Not knowing your budget hard to suggest lodging but we loved our stay at Grand Hotel de la Ville-
fantastic views, excellent breakfast and on site restaurant, beautiful rooms, easy walk to town and train/bus.

https://www.delavillesorrento.com

Posted by
755 posts

Yes, Sorrento would be best for your group as it is relatively flat for the older folks, a small beach for the younger folks, lots of nice hotels and restaurants, and access to trains and ferries as well as buses to explore the Amalfi Coast and surrounding areas.

Posted by
68 posts

We just returned from an 11 night stay in Sorrento,perfect location for catching trains,ferries,and the Sita bus. We rented a terrific apartment on VRBO so can't recommend a hotel

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! It sounds like Sorrento is the overwhelming choice. I'll do some research!