Please sign in to post.

Bernini Express

We are wanting to take the Bernini Express from Varenna to Tirano to St. Moritz in September 2023. I need guidance as it seems complicated and I’m not sure how much time we will have in St. Moritz before departing back to Tirano. Can we have lunch and shop in St. Moritz? If so suggested restaurants as well. Thank you!

Posted by
273 posts

The Bernina Express originates in Tirano not Varenna.
The first train out of Tirano leaves at 10:06 and arrives St Moritz at 12:35.
The last Bernina Express train from St Moritz Tirano leaves at 16:14.
So you have 3 hours and 45 minutes in St Moritz.

If you want to stay longer than 3 hours and 45 minutes there are regular trains that travel on the same tracks as the Bernina Express leaving St Moritz to Tirano at 17:48, 18:48 and 21:02.

Posted by
17253 posts

You can also take regional trains that run on the same tracks, instead of the named Bernina Express train. You will have more flexibility.

I suggest you stop in Pontresina instead of going to St. Moritz. They are only 20 minutes apart, and the scenery doesn’t change much.

Better yet, if you are on a regional train, get off at Punt Muragl, the stop after Pontresina, and take the funicular up to the Muottas Muragl restaurant for your lunch.

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/experiences/muottas-muragl-a-front-row-seat/

Posted by
4765 posts

The Man explains it all quite completely, as noted. Youtube is also full of vlogs of that route, in either direction. It seems pretty simple, you get on and get off. You'll be running through city streets in Tirano which is pretty funny.

Are you sure you really want to do a roundtrip? Most people keep on going to Zurich or Lucerne.

Posted by
5470 posts

During COVID, we did the route round trip, from Pontressina to the last Swiss top, and then returned, and found both ways to be fascinating. The route is so beautiful and picturesque, and the views change as the direction and light changes. Would love to ride the route again!