Please sign in to post.

Bernina express

Hi! My family is planning a trip to Italy/Switzerland in July. We plan to take the Bernina express and have a question. We have family that would like to join us for just part of the trip.. Tirano to St. Moritz. We will be continuing on after St.moritz to Zürich. When purchasing tickets, I know we will have to take a regional train from Saint Moritz to Zürich. We will make the seat reservation for the Bernina express. For the train ticket do we buy one ticket from Tirano to Zürich or do we need to buy separate tickets from Tirano to St Moritz and then st. Moritz to Zürich. What website do you suggest to purchase the train tickets?
Thank you!

Posted by
4852 posts

Use the SBB app. When checking prices, note that the app assumes you have at least a Half-Fare Pass.
Depending on how much you're traveling in Switzerland, you may find the a Half-Fare Pass or a Swiss Travel Pass would meet your needs. With the STP, you don't buy tickets, you just get on the train , bus, cogwheel, gondola, etc. (with some lift exceptions.) You can use regional trains for the entire Bernini Express route, as we did, which gives you more scheduling options and more flexibility, no seat reservations required, and are less crowded.
The various passes are a bit confusing at first, you just need to pencil out what is the most economical - and convenient. The Swiss train system is a model of efficiency and user- friendliness. The Bernina Express route is one of the most scenic train trips I've ever done.
Have a wonderful time in this beautiful country.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you so much for the reply. We plan to take the train requiring seat reservation just for the tirano to St Moritz portion and then the regional trains rest of the way. With the STP, can you get on the Bernina express train (not regional) with just a seat reservation then? Or is the STP just for the regional trains bus etc?
Thank you again!

Posted by
7 posts

One more question ... if we decide to just do the regional trains, how do we know it is the same route that the Bernina express takes?

Posted by
16385 posts

The regional train uses the same tracks as the named Bernina Express from Tirano to Pontresina, as there is only one route. Take a look at this map of the rail system and you will see that:

https://www.swissrailways.com/sites/default/files/sts-gb-m-15-web_vorlage_0.pdf

However, after Pontresina, some regional trains head to Samedan instead of St. Moritz. In that case, you would have to get off at Pontresina or Samedan and change trains to reach St.Moritz.

You might consider riding the Bernina Express (or the regional train) only as far as Pontresina, especially if you are making an overnight stop before continuing on to Zurich. Pontresina is generally viewed as having more charm and less “glitz” than St. Moritz, and more reasonably-priced lodging options.

From St. Moritz or Pontresina to Zurich, be sure you take the route that goes through Filisur and Chur (find these on the map), as this is the more scenic route. This is the route that goes over the famed Landwasser Viaduct.

https://www.graubuenden.ch/en/attractions/buildings/viaducts/landwasser

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you so much for the information! If you think there's anything else that is worth mentioning, I would love to hear it!

Posted by
1949 posts

Next April--we'll be taking the Bernina Express Chur/Tirano, continuing on to Varenna. On the SBB site, clicked for SuperSaver, going out 5 months (next year isn't up yet) I found 8:28-12:49 Bernina Express tickets for 33 CHF apiece, which is reasonable. Did not get into caveats, restrictions just yet. Will probably wait until fall to book.

Posted by
4852 posts

If you ride the regional trains, you don't need to book in advance, and can have flexibility for bad weather. Are you looking at the STP or half-fare card?
Enjoy your trip in this beautiful country!