Please sign in to post.

Bergamo

Anyone....worth spending a day? Anything else in that area better? Brescia?

Posted by
15847 posts

Bergamo is absolutely worth a day. Città Alta - the very old, upper part of the city - is a Medieval gem that was a lot fun to explore. Above that are the ruins of San Vigilio castle and expansive views of Città Alta, Città Bassa and miles and miles of countryside: a must-do!

We spent a couple of days in the city and enjoyed it very much.

Posted by
1018 posts

This past August we spent two nights in Bergamo and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and it is high on the return again list. We stayed at the very upscale Hotel Petronilla in the old section and it was first rate. La Citta Alta, upper town, was interesting and easy to navigate on foot.

The restaurants were all good and everyone was extremely friendly. The gelateria La Romana was absolutely outstanding.

Go and have fun.

Buon viaggio,

Posted by
11613 posts

I only spent one rainy day in Bergamo and loved it! There was a crafts fair in one of the courtyards. The air was the purest air I've ever breathed. Just a wonderful place to spend a day or longer. There is a bus from the train station every few minutes that goes to Citta Alta, buy your ticket at the tabacco shop nearby.

Posted by
16894 posts

I enjoyed both Bergamo and Brescia last fall. Bergamo Alta is definitely more of a compact, cobbled hilltown experience; bus #1 runs up the hill from the train station, and Hotel Il Sole on the main square was a fine value. The landmarks in Brescia are clearly in the midst of a city, but plenty to see; I had a great dinner experience at Osteria Enrico VIII, Vicolo Sant'Agostino 7/A.

Posted by
7737 posts

We spent 2 or 3 nights in Bergamo a few years ago in May and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very charming. We seemed to be the only American tourists in town.