Please sign in to post.

Bellagio, lake como

We will be in Bellagio for 3 weeks in July with two different groups coming. Our plan is to explore the area via Ferry but one day we want to go to Stresa, Lake Maggiore and another da we want to venture to Switzerland, Lugano or St. Moritz. Still exploring options. We are trying to figure out what to do about a car. There will be 6 adults. So, a traditional car is really not an option. We have thought about renting a van but hate the thought of driving it and parking it (finding parking and also, having it sit for most days other than 2 days out of each week). So, I am trying to decide if it is better to not have a car at all and just do a car hire for those days that we want to venture out. Any suggestions? I don't see a car rental service in Bellagio.

Since this is high season, we are struggling with what to do and want to make our reservation soon as our options may become more limited if we wait. Thoughts?

Posted by
7027 posts

Are you planning on doing Stresa and either Lugano or St Moritz as day trips from Bellagio? Or do you plan to spend a night or two in those places? You can take a ferry from Bellagio to Varenna and then train from there to Stresa, Lugano, St. Moritz. It takes about 3 hours so not good for a day trip, but might be ok for an overnight or two without a car. I would also venture to say you could ferry from Bellagio to Como or Varenna and rent a car there if that's what you decide to do.

Posted by
11156 posts

You do not need a car while in Bellagio. We drove to Bellagio one time from Pontresina, near St-Moritz. This is not a day trip. If you do go, follow the advice we were given, skip St-Morris and stay nearby in charming Pontresina.
St-Moritz is not attractive.
We drove from Lake Maggiore to Bellagio and I would not do it as a day trip either.
We have stayed in Bellagio four times and found it hard to think about leaving at all. We went to Lugano on our way out of Bellagio, not giving up any of time on Lake Como.

Posted by
186 posts

Thank you Nancy and Suki -

When we were in Bellagio years ago, we had a car and took a day trip to Stresa. We were thinking of doing the same thing again with our friends. It is about 2 hrs from Bellagio. We were also thinking about doing the same thing with Lugano. I did not realize that there was train service from Varenna - will look into that. Just hard to have a vehicle large enough for 6 adults and then have to leave it parked the majority of the time. I agree with you, just being in Bellagio and exploring via Ferry the other areas is the most pleasant. Unfortunately my husband gets a little bored and wants to do something new so, I am trying to keep him happy :)

Posted by
2 posts

Hi... if you want to visit Switzerland, you may also want to consider getting on the Bernina Express, a panoramic train from Chur in Switzerland [near St. Moritz] to Tirano in Italy, and with a bus segment from Tirano to Lugano via the Lake Como region. I've been on several panoramic Swiss trains and the Bernina Express is the most breathtaking of them all. Here's a link https://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress.

Posted by
2948 posts

You can take a ferry to Varenna (departs hourly) then a train to Stresa (1h). Check www.bahn.com.
I suggest going to Lugano and taking the Bernina Express to St. Moritz, here's how. Take a ferry to Varenna, then a train to Monza and transfer to Lugano.
To get back to Varenna, take a train from St. Moritz to Tirano and transfer to Varenna.

Posted by
1321 posts

Why not consider hiring a driver for the days you want to day trip from Bellagio? Check out Bellagio Taxi.