Please sign in to post.

Bedbugs

We are planning a trip to Venice in October.With the increased problem of bedbugs, both in the USA and abroad, is there a way to know if a hotel or other accommodation is free of such pests before making reservations?

Posted by
3551 posts

You can check tripadvisor for reports of but really there is no way to know for sure. They hyjack(bedbugs) on to alot and go from place to place even aircraft. So I always have lavender sachets in my luggage and handbag/totes and never place either on floors, carpets. Check all bedding at hotel for spots where bedbugs could have been. On all my international travels I have been lucky but went to Colorado last yr and a big 4 star chain hotel where I stayed had bedbugs in my suite. HMMM! I also always leave my luggage in garage for 48 hrs after arriving home from a trip.

Posted by
1633 posts

I just read a review on TripAdvisor about a Best Western property in Venice in which they complained about bugs that gave them welts. My husband said it must have been bed bugs and that there really is no way to tell. We're also headed there in October.

Posted by
646 posts

Be sure to check your hotel on Trip Advisor. If there is a bedbug problem, I'm sure it will be posted there. Have been to Italy 2x and haven't had a problem. Will be returning in October. Now, if I were going to NYC, I'd be worried. Also, you can also google bedbugs and find out what you can do to detect them in your hotel room.

Posted by
32212 posts

linda, I've NEVER encountered Bed Bugs at any Hotel or Hostel in Italy. I usually stay in the budget Hotels listed in Rick's Guidebooks, so the accommodations are not luxurious. Perhaps the smaller places are able to clean more thoroughly than the big chains? While on the subject, I saw a report on the TV News in the last week or so, that indicated that New York City is suffering from an infestation of Bed Bugs. These can occur anywhere, so my suggestion would be to go by the ratings in the Guidebooks or Trip Advisor and take your chances. Good luck!