Please sign in to post.

beaches in Italy

We are planning a summer vacation with family (11 ppl ranging from 3 1/2 yrs to 70!) We've 'done' most of the cities & will probably do so again...but are thinking of a house in the country, near the seashore for the kids. We'd like to be centrally located, possibly not too far from Florence, to make getting around by train a possibility. Also interested in the Cinque Terre area. Any suggestions for an area to focus on? Thanks!

Posted by
7453 posts

No specific area, but sounds like somewhere on the rail line between Florence and Pisa, or near Pisa might fit the bill. Pisa is a good transportation hub, near the coast, and maybe cheaper than the classic Tuscan Villa.

Posted by
5362 posts

We were a group of 8 looking for something similar. Stayed a week in Lucca at an apartment with 2Italia. Great experience, well connected by trains, made day trips to Cinque Terre and Florence as well as Pisa. Lucca is a beautiful town to boot.

Posted by
10344 posts

Some travelers reporting in here have found the Cinque Terre beaches to be awesomely spectacular, scenery-wise--but disappointing to those few who went with the idea that the CT beaches would be great sand beaches for long beach walks, wading, or swimming. The CT beaches aren't Hawaii, Caribbean, or Southern California type beaches with lots of white sand.

Of course, the beaches are scenically stunning, when viewed from back aways and somewhat above, preferably over a glass of vino.

Posted by
11613 posts

What about a place on one of the lakes? Countryside feel, beaches and many towns have good transportation links.

Posted by
127 posts

Thanks for the suggestions...& yes, I was wondering if the beaches were pebbly rather than sandy. Not a big issue....but good to know. Do you think this type of trip would be feasible by train? How many of the CT villages have train service? This trip is like a giant puzzle...trying to pick a place to fit the wishes of shoppers, R&R seekers, sightseers & 4 little grandkids! Right now I'm liking the idea of viewing the coastline over a glass of the local vino!!

Posted by
5188 posts

Jean,
I understand your dilemma, it's very difficult to please everyone.

In answer to your question:

Do you think this type of trip would be feasible by train? How many of the CT villages have train service?

Yes, you can get almost anywhere by train while visiting Italy.
You can get to the Cinque Terre easily by train and it's the best way to visit CT.
There are frequent trains & it takes less than 5 minutes from one village to another. You can also take a ferry from one to another except to Corniglia, which is set up higher & you can get to it but there's a lot of steps uphill.
If you choose to go to CT, I'd suggest staying in Monterosso Al Mare which is bigger and there are more restaurants & accommodations. It's also the only village in the CT with a small sandy beach.

Have you considered going to one of the lakes as Zoe suggested?

Lake Garda is close to Verona where there's a lot of shopping.
Lake Como & Lake Maggiore are close to Milan.

How long is your trip?

Posted by
15043 posts

House in the country will likely call for rental car(s).
Florence and seashore rarely appear in the same sentence. The closest seaside location is Viareggio, over 100km (60miles) away, over one hour by any means of transportation.
Beaches at the Cinque Terre are rocky cliffs and pebbles. They also have a quick deep drop that don't make ideal for small kids and non swimmers.
For a more apt beach experience try the beaches along the pine forest between Viareggio and Torre del Lago Puccini. Find an Agriturismo nearby. Then you can use that as a base for everywhere else.

Posted by
16893 posts

If anyone's considering a stay at Rapallo, I can recommend this apartment Il Convento, on the waterfront, 2-room suites for 4 max €210/night in high season. Might be more practical for 8 people than 11.

Posted by
127 posts

Our vacation will probably be about 14 days. Would love to stay on one of the lakes...have been to Lugano & would love to try Como. Back to the subject of beaches...I think with a large group we'll have to be away from the CT towns to get a large enough house, so we're hoping for a pool. Beaches will probably be for exploring & scenery....which we'd have in abundance in the Lake Disctict! So many places...so little time! Thanks again for all the ideas!

Posted by
5188 posts

Jean,

I'm sure you & your family will have a wonderful trip wherever you decide to go.

Best of luck to you!

Posted by
1501 posts

The beaches on the Adriatic side have beautiful fine sand. Not Pebbly at all like the Med Beaches. Also, no steep drop off in the water, gradual decline perfect for children, and the Adriatic is much warmer than the Med. I have family in Riccioni/Rimini area. There's also Catolica. You may want to try Flip-Key or HomeAway as they're most popular for Apartment rentals in Italy.