Please sign in to post.

Bari

Hi. I’ll be visiting the Bari area for several days with my elderly parents. The purpose of the trip is to take my dad for a visit to his parents hometown in the province of bari. I can use some suggestions.
My parents are in good health but since they’re in their late 80’s I want to make things as stress free and safe as possible.
I want them to enjoy the beauty of some scenic old towns at a relaxed pace.
I don’t know if we should stay in the city of Bari or elsewhere. I love Matera and thought it would be nice to visit but I’m afraid it might be treacherous for them. Any suggestions on how I can safely arrange a visit there?

Also I’m looking for idea of some towns within an hour or so from Bari that we can visit. We’ll have a rental car. Thanks you.

Posted by
3551 posts

I stayed in Bari for 3 nights in fall 2019. It was flat and a fun visit with coastline and old town visit is a must. . I was on a guided tour so it was quite relaxed. However there was about 1 hr driving between stops. I would think your best option is to stay in Bari and enjoy it. Yourparents may be very fatigued with a drive away and then sight seeing with uneven pavement. Matera is a difficult visit to walk about imo..

Posted by
4811 posts

I have visited Bari twice for brief one-night stays in b&bs in the old town. My husband and I are rather small people, and we found the rooms quite small (being retrofitted very old buildings of course)--even having difficulty turning around in the shower and getting up spiral staircases. This is just to say be careful when choosing hotels--you will want something with parking anyway (be sure you know about ZTLs), which may be larger. I would look for something just outside the old town.
I saw your post on another forum and think you made the right decision--Matera is magical but not worth a fall! Perhaps you can find a tour in which you could get assistance (maybe try a tourism office?). The streets are rather slippery, treacherous in rain I found.
Towns to visit: Trani, Monopoli, Polignano, Altamura, Itria valley villages