Please sign in to post.

Bari

Our cruise will port in Bari for one day. We have a choice of touring several towns including Trani, Ostuni, Urbino or Ascoli Piceno. Do you have recommendations on a charming town to visit for one day from included list?

Posted by
11367 posts

Trani or Ostuni. We didn’t visit the other two when we visited Puglia. Trani is on the sea, beautiful cathedral, and a synagogue built in 13c. Ostuni is a hill town with white washed buildings, houses. You can’t go wrong with either one. Likewise, old town Bari is worth your time as well, Basilica St. Nicolas ( Santa Claus) where his remains are held in the crypt. We enjoyed Puglia tremendously.

Posted by
1561 posts

Ascoli Piceno is 4.30 hours travel time from Bari. Urbino is in the 6 hours range (i.e. 6 hours to go there and 6 hours to come back). They look improbable day trips from Bari.

Posted by
1451 posts

We've spent a few nights in Trani and a week in Ostuni. Trani has more to see in the old part of town and around the harbor. The views are beautiful. Lovely weird sculptures on the exterior of the cathedral. For Ostuni, it's the charming oldest part of town itself, just wandering around up and down the steps and through the narrow winding alleys. No cars. We had some of the very best meals we've had in all of Italy in Ostuni, so that gives us a special fondness for it. Bari has two great churches and the two streets where they make pasta and a maze of old streets. Good street food and bakeries. If you stayed in Bari for the day, you'd spend less time in transportation.

Look at some photos online and see what appeals to you. I just sat here for several minutes and couldn't decide which one I'd choose if I could only choose one. Maybe Trani?