Please sign in to post.

Bags in museums

Doing the Heart of Italy tour in October. What are restrictions on size of bags/day bags in the museums in Rome and Florence? I hope to be able to carry largish point-and-shoot camera and water bottle and light coverup or sweater without having to check my bag/purse.

Posted by
1662 posts

For Rome, churches and museums, a bag of medium-size, maybe 14 to 15 inches would be okay. I carried a Kipling hobo style tote - 14 inches or so - and did not have any problems.

Small to medium size backpacks were allowed.

Large, bulky backpacks would most likely need to be checked or not allowed in.

If you are going to the Borghese Gallery, no bags allowed at all.

Posted by
16409 posts

If you are doing Galleria Borghese on your own during your free time in Rome, you will have to check your bag, bottle and possibly your camera as well if a temporary exhibit there dictates no photography. Wear your sweater or leave it in your bag.

It's a terrific museum though; well worth the time!

Posted by
7737 posts

FYI, some museums and churches won't let any backpack style bag in, regardless of size. It's due to the fact that some people forget they have them on, and could accidentally damage something. A messenger/cross-body bag, on the other hand, is much more accepted.

Happy travels.

Posted by
1625 posts

You can remove anything you want before you check your bag. We remove our wallets, cameras and phones. My husband also carries a largish bag for his video/camera equipment. Another side note: If you need an audio guide at the Museum they may require an ID to secure it, I always give them my Drivers License instead of my passport, so take your drivers license also.

Posted by
23574 posts

Our experience is that anything bigger than a small shoulder bag has to be checked in most museums. Obviously there are exceptions and some require all bags to be checked. There is no uniform hard and fast rule. So, just plan on checking the bag.

Posted by
824 posts

Each venue has their own rules so you might want to go to their web sites and look at the restrictions. From experience, if backpacks are allowed, it is often with the condition that they be worn on the front of the body (the only polite way of wearing a backpack in a crowded space). Also, I was never asked to check my RS Civita shoulder bag at any venue I took it to in Venice, Florence or Rome. However, I did not take to venues that I knew did not allow bags of any type...